Home
Support Forums

Please include subdomain (external DNS) in SSL certificate

Hello,

I am looking to extend our SSL certificate to include a subdomain configured through external DNS. We already have the CNAME record pointing to the Netlify site:

$ nslookup surveillance.thelensnola.org
Server:		127.0.0.1
Address:	127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
surveillance.thelensnola.org	canonical name = surveillance-thelensnola-org.netlify.app.
Name:	surveillance-thelensnola-org.netlify.app
Address: 68.183.27.198
Name:	surveillance-thelensnola-org.netlify.app
Address: 68.183.23.220
$ dig +noall +answer surveillance.thelensnola.org
surveillance.thelensnola.org. 14400 IN	CNAME	surveillance-thelensnola-org.netlify.app.
surveillance-thelensnola-org.netlify.app. 20 IN	A 161.35.60.200
surveillance-thelensnola-org.netlify.app. 20 IN	A 52.203.36.44

After reading this support guide, I’m not sure if I also need to create a branch subdomain in Netlify to match our desired subdomain. We only need one branch deployment (production from our “main” branch), but if necessary I can create a new branch “surveillance” in our repo, add that branch in Netlify, and update our CNAME record to point to the new Netlify branch URL.

Is this needed, or is what we currently have already good to go?

Thanks!

Tom

Hi @tthoren,

You simply need to add the domain to the website here: Netlify App

1 Like

Hi @hrishikesh,

Thanks for the help. When trying to add a custom domain (thelensnola.org), I get this message: " thelensnola.org is already registered. If you registered this domain name through a different registrar, select Add domain to begin delegating it to Netlify."

What would delegating to Netlify do? This subdomain is the only thing we are using Netlify for. Our main domain and other subdomains point to other hosts, so I don’t think we want to delegate DNS to Netlify.

Hi @tthoren,

Since you want to connect only the subdomain, I’d advise you to add only the subdomain in a add new custom domain section. Then it should work fine.

1 Like

@hrishikesh, thanks! I have that subdomain added as a custom domain now. It is also set as the primary domain in Netlify.

My site (surveillance.thelensnola.org) is working over HTTP now. Over HTTPS, it shows an invalid certificate registered for *.netlify.app. Is there anything else I need to do to get HTTPS working? Or do we just need to give it time to propagate the new custom domain?

@hrishikesh , nevermind, I spoke too soon. Now the cert is valid and registered under my subdomain. I think I’m all set! Thank you so much for the assistance.