On demand builders should be live in `.netlify/functions` instead of `.netlify/builders`

According to On-demand Builders | Netlify Docs on demand builders should be in .netlify/builders directory but it’s not working. I had to change my functions directory to .netlify/functions directory or move builder to .netlify/functions directory. Am I wrong? Please describe it.

Hi @ksenginew

Netlify automatically looks in netlify/functions and builds and deploys any functions within that directory. Builders reside in the same directory as functions and after building functions are available via /.netlify/functions/<function-name> and builders via /.nelify/builders/<builder-name> as per the documentation you linked to.

For clarification, I have created a simple demonstration coelmay/builders-test which is deployed at unruffled-jepsen-e51ace.netlify.app.

Edit:
I have added a dev branch with extra content pages published at dev–unruffled-jepsen-e51ace.netlify.app

2 Likes

Thanks, That’s the best way to explain it.

Holy cow. I spent hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong.

I had a builder function in /.netlify/functions/ and was hitting that same route and it worked, but not as a builder function.

Then I moved the file to /.netlify/builders/ and was hitting that same route and getting “Function not found” and I was so confused.

Hunting and hunting and trying to figure out what was wrong.

Then I found your description, which turned on the lightbulb in my head:

The builder function should be in /.netlify/functions/{name} but it’s invocation path is /.netlify/builders/{name}.

TY!