New to netlify and have some questions

Hi All,

I’ve been tasked by my employer to find a static CMS and so i understand netlify weights in quite high. I have some questions to which I hoping to get the answers for.

1. Does the back end need to be in git?
  2. Can we build our own templates for pages for the content people to just drop the content into the pages? As well as content we want to be able to add code to pages so the ability to add things like embedded links (calendly)
  3. Does the CMS allow in-content WYSIWYG
  4. Does the CMS support all SEO requirements list metas and Schema
  5. Does the website integrate with Salesforce and Pardot
  6. We want to output to HTML, is this possible and does this CMS do this or do you recommend a tool to do this?

Thanks is advance

M

Hi @Webseo,

I would like to clarify something which I think is going in the wrong direction. Netlify is not primarily a CMS platform. It’s more like a modern and advanced hosting platform. Netlify CMS is another product. So, if you’re looking only for a CMS and are not willing to switch your hosting, there might be some additional configuration than normal that might be required to setup the CMS. However, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, the backend needs to be in git. Netlify CMS is a git-based CMS, it stores and retrieves files from there and thus, git is a must. Read here: https://www.netlifycms.org/docs/backends-overview

2. Netlify CMS is only responsible for the content and does not handle your frontend at all. This is not something like Wordpress where you manage the content and the website design in the same tool. Netlify CMS is decoupled from the frontend. You need to have a static site generator template ready that can parse your content written in Markdown (or other files) and generate HTML accordingly.

3. You do get a preview along-side while writing, however you need to add your stylesheet so that the preview actually matches your website’s theme.

4. As said before, the CMS is not responsible for rendering the code, it just manages the content. Thus, you need to have a static site generator setup to use the title, description, keywords, etc. from the text in CMS to add the required SEO tags.

5. I’m not familiar with the tools you mentioned, so I can’t comment on that.

6. Again, you need a site generator configured to actually convert the CMS content to HTML.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, let us know.

1 Like