Netlifyctl error

We have always published sites using the netlifyctl command line program (it is tied in with some other software). But we are now getting errors, maybe since OSX 12.0.1 (21A559)

Just running ‘netlifyctl’ gives the error:

fatal error: runtime: bsdthread_register error

runtime stack:
runtime.throw(0x18f666a, 0x21)
	/usr/local/go/src/runtime/panic.go:616 +0x81 fp=0x7ff7bfeff9c8 sp=0x7ff7bfeff9a8 pc=0x1029051
runtime.goenvs()
	/usr/local/go/src/runtime/os_darwin.go:129 +0x83 fp=0x7ff7bfeff9f8 sp=0x7ff7bfeff9c8 pc=0x1026bd3
runtime.schedinit()
	/usr/local/go/src/runtime/proc.go:501 +0xd6 fp=0x7ff7bfeffa60 sp=0x7ff7bfeff9f8 pc=0x102b946
runtime.rt0_go(0x7ff7bfeffa98, 0x1, 0x7ff7bfeffa98, 0x0, 0x1000000, 0x1, 0x7ff7bfeffbd8, 0x0, 0x7ff7bfeffbe3, 0x7ff7bfeffbfd, ...)
	/usr/local/go/src/runtime/asm_amd64.s:252 +0x1f4 fp=0x7ff7bfeffa68 sp=0x7ff7bfeffa60 pc=0x1052114

Anyone any ideas?

hi there, can you give us a bit more information about the version you are using? thanks!

Hi Perry thanks for coming back to me:

This has been working for some time…but has recently stopped working. Perhaps after OS upgrade, but of course homebrew updates things all the time.

• MacOS Monterey 12.0.1 (21A559)
  • Netlify installed by homebrew
    netlify/netlifyctl/netlifyctl: stable 0.4.0

We use a bash shell.

I’ve just uninstalled and reinstalled netlifyctl from homebrew, but just running netlifyctl from the command line give the error detailed in my previous post

Can I provide any other information?

Hi @AudioBear

I am using macOS 12.0.1 also. While I have Homebrew installed, I don’t use it to manage Netlify CLI. Rather I installed node/npm via Homebrew, and use npm/yarn to install/manage Netlify CLI.

There is perhaps an issue with the way Homebrew has built the CLI. I have no issues with the install via npm.

Perhaps try removing Netlify CLI from Homebrew and installing using NPM as per the Netlify CLI documentation.

Thanks coelmay for the info on the newer node based netlify cli.
As I’m sure you know, this is the older netlifyctl command line program and we’d really like to get this working again as it is much lighter (just a go app) than all of node + netlify app.

@coelmay I believe that it’s netlifyctl that is being used (GitHub - netlify/netlifyctl)

I haven’t yet upgraded to 12.0.1 and don’t plan to, are you able to test the netlifyctl?

Ah yes @nathanmartin, it is netlifyctl which as the git repository you shared points out is a legacy cli which hasn’t had a commit in a few years (and is now archived.)

Believe GitHub - netlify/cli: Netlify Command Line Interface is now the better method.

You are right nathanmartin, it is that app installed via homebrew. This seems to be the same version that homebrew installs that does not work.

CLI to interact with netlify.com  
https://github.com/netlify/netlifyctl  
/usr/local/Cellar/netlifyctl/0.4.0 (3 files, 23.9MB) *  
  Built from source on 2021-11-01 at 12:47:04  
From: https://github.com/netlify/homebrew-netlifyctl/blob/HEAD/netlifyctl.r  

coelmay we use this on client machines with our client websites to publish to Netlify. We have no need of node and it would be another thing to install which we would rather not do. Hence the desire to try and fix the older netlifyctl. We install most of the other stuff via brew, so this solution is very good for us.

I wouldn’t expect it to be supported myself, as the repository is archived.

It’s just unfortunate that the introduction message wasn’t changed prior to it being archived, as it still states:

Netlify continues to support this version

I would lodge an issue concerning the misleading messaging, but cannot as the project is archived.

@AudioBear Ultimately if Netlify no longer support the netlifyctl then your options would be to either fork the repository and get it working again, or use the node based cli (despite it not being the optimum tool for your specific situation).

@nathanmartin It is a bit sad, but I guess the sensible thing todo would be to move to the newer CLI rather than trying to maintain an old program.

1 Like