Netlify thinks custom domain was registered through external provider when it was registered through Netlify

Netlify site name: zaverose.netlify.app
custom domain: zav.gay

Hello! I recently created a site and wanted to have a custom domain for it. In the past, I’d used google domains, but since that is EOL, I thought I’d try Netlify’s custom domain service and purchased the domain zav.gay through Netlify’s custom domain service.

However, I can’t get an SSL certificate as it appears to think that zav.gay was registered externally, and not through Netlify. I tried verifying this by running dig zav.gay in bash (on mac) and this was the response:

; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;zav.gay.			IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
gay.			900	IN	SOA	a.nic.gay. admin.tldns.godaddy. 1688692267 1800 300 604800 1800

So the domain provider is GoDaddy? This is an issue as I cannot go to my domain registrar and change my domain’s name servers to the Netlify’s custom hostnames assigned to my DNS zone by Netlify, as I didn’t purchase the domain through GoDaddy and I don’t have a GoDaddy account.

Overall, the main issue appears to be that Netlify believes zav.gay was registered externally when it wasn’t.

Thank you

whois zav.gay

No Data Found

It’s clearly not regitered from Netlify, there’s no record of this domain existing on whois! I don’t believe the domain is registered at all.