Netlify DNS not generating an appropriate SSL certificate for branch deploy with sub-subdomain

Hi team!

I have a Netlify site here: naughty-wozniak-9fc262.netlify.app. I have Netlify DNS set up so the primary domain for this site is trades.akosua.xyz. DNS entry looks like:

Name trades.akosua.xyz
TTL 3600 seconds
Type NETLIFY
Value naughty-wozniak-9fc262.netlify.app

I then set up a branch deploy for my staging branch which seems to have created the following:

Name staging.trades.akosua.xyz
TTL 3600 seconds
Type NETLIFY
Value naughty-wozniak-9fc262.netlify.app

When I visit staging.trades.akosua.xyz however, it gives me a warning in both Chrome and Firefox. In Chrome I can’t proceed past the warning. The error given is
NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID. The certificate shown in Chrome is for *.netlify.app.

In the Netlify Domain Management page I see that the automatic Let’s Encrypt certificate is set up for *.akosua.xyz, akosua.xyz, and trades.flexfoxfantasy.com. From my understanding that first wildcard entry would not cover a second-level subdomain, but I’m not sure how to get that set up. I’ve tried clicking “Renew Certificate” but no dice.

Thanks!

Hi, @akosasante. Thanks for letting us know about this. I’ve gotten that SSL certificate updated to include *.trades.akosua.xyz now.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.