Netlify DNS for my netlify hosted site and for a dynamic ip

Hi,
I bought a domain elsewhere but I configure it to use netlify’s dns and it’s working great (well my site is under construction for more than a couple of year but it’s just a side project).

Recently I wanted to add a dns entry for a subdomain to track the dynamic ip of my home connection. I wrote an automation to use your DNS API to delete/create the entry whenever my ip changes. It kinda works.

When I create the entry it works for a while then it stop, even if my ip doesn’t change, and I have to delete/recreate it with the very same ip. I even do that manually from Netlify App and I even do the call with postman to see if there is any error but it looks fine.

Except sometime it stops working.

Obviously I prefere to avoid writing down my domain because it points at my home (when it’s working).

Can you help me finding the issue?

Hi, @Edo78. For troubleshooting any DNS issue, I would always recommend using dig (unless someone knows of a better tool - in which case I’m all ears). DigitalOcean has a great “how to install dig” guide here:

https://www.digitalocean.com/docs/networking/dns/resources/use-dig/

Once dig is installed and working, I would ask for you to send us both a traced and “normal” DNS lookup for the non-working record.

For example, if you have created the A record for subdomain.example.com then the two commands we would want to see the output for would be:

dig subdomain.example.com A

and:

dig +trace subdomain.example.com A

Please send us the complete output of both the commands above (using the domain name which stops working). Please also note, these commands must be run from the (or an) affected system.

You can post that information publicly or you can private message (PM) that to one of our support staff. I’ve confirmed that PMs are enabled for your community login. Note, that only one person can see the PM and this will likely mean a slower reply than posting the information publicly. Please feel free to reply to however you prefer though.

​Please let us know if there are other questions and we look forward to getting more information to troubleshoot.

Hi, @Edo78.

You PM’ed me the output of the DNS lookup not working. I see it working now and I also see that the DNS record being used at the moment was created after the PM was sent.

The PM was sent Fri Nov 6 06:55:15 PST 2020 and the record was created Sat Nov 7 14:40:46 PST 2020.

I’m not sure what happened before but it appears the issue is resolved now. If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Sorry but I needed to access my domain so I had to recreate it and this solved (temporarely) the issue. I’ll be back the next time and I’ll try to avoid any changes.

Thank you for your time

Hi, @Edo78. I see you sent me another PM about the non-working DNS record. The record was created at Netlify without the corresponding record being created at NS1. I’ve manually corrected the issue now and the record is now working.

We have an open issue to prevent this from occurring. If/when the issue is known to be resolved we will post another update here to let you know. In the meantime, you can either ask our support team to fix any DNS record which don’t work. Alternatively, you can also delete then recreate the record to resolve the issue.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.