Netlify DNS error "name is already taken, [domain] is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones"

Went to go register the Netlify DNS for my website and I’m getting the error “name is already taken, [domain] is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones”

I don’t have another Netlify account, and I definitely own the domain, so I’m not sure what is going on.

Netlify site: positivebitsoftware.netlify.app

I tried to follow the information on this page: [Support Guide] Verifying domain ownership for Netlify custom domain

Problem is, I’m not sure if I did it right because there is a “Name” field, only a “Host” and “Value” field. The registrar is Namecheap. Here is a screenshot:

Hi, @gainznerd. In the screenshot above, the following changes are needed:

• Host should be “verified-for-netlify” instead of “@”.
  • Value should be either the full URL for this topic (meaning: https://answers.netlify.com/t/netlify-dns-error-name-is-already-taken-domain-is-conflicting-the-ownership-with-other-existing-zones/32578) or just the numeric value for the topic (32578).

There is also a key detail we still don’t have: the apex domain.

In other words, the TXT record should be found as verified-for-netlify.example.com where example.com is replaced by whatever the actual domain name is. We need to know that value - the real apex domain - before we can verify the TXT record.

Luke,

Thank you for the feedback. I went ahead and updated the values. What do I need to do now?

Hi, @gainznerd. We are still waiting on this:

In other words, you still haven’t told us what domain this is for.

You can post that information publicly or you can private message (PM) that to one of our support staff. I’ve confirmed that PMs are enabled for your community login. Please keep in mind that only one person can see the PM and this will likely mean a slower reply than posting the information publicly. Please feel free to reply to however you prefer though.

Oh, sorry. I thought it was posited. The “apex” domain is www.positivebitsoftware.com

Hey there,

Thanks for verifying this. I can absolutely remove the domain from the site it is already attached to. However, the site is correctly configured and serving your site. Once we remove this, the positivebitsoftware.com site will go offline until you add this to another site.

The team where the site is in use is associated with a ‘Kevin’. Unfortunately, I cannot provide full names or other PII but maybe this is enough information for you to reach out to the person in control of the team at the moment.

If you’re sure that you’d like us to remove the domain from the site, please confirm :slight_smile:

Pie,

Thanks for looking into this. If it’s setup for positivebitsoftware.com, then that’s what I want. The problem is it seems like it’s not setup properly or associated with another account due to the error I’m getting when I go to “Set up Netlify DNS”. I took some screenshots of the steps I’m taking and the error message I’m receiving.

How can I confirm it’s setup properly for Netlify DNS?

Ah! I see what’s up.

Looks like a Netlify DNS zone was made a long time ago, by another user. It was unused. I’ve since removed this and you should be good to utilise Netlify DNS now!

Thanks for the screenshots showing your flow, by the way. Helped a lot!

Awesome! Thank you so much!