Home
Support Forums

Netlify caching issue?

We have encountered an issue with Print Preview in Google Chrome that appears related to some sort of caching happening on Netlify.

Here are 3 different URLs, all of which retrieve the same digital certificate, but the ones fetched from ‘certificates.icef.com’ and ‘issuer-icef.netlify.app’ are exhibiting random clipping errors (explained below), while the one fetched from ‘certificates-icef.nextid.com’ does not have clipping.

NextCert (netlify site - random clipping errors)
NextCert (alias #1 - random clipping errors)
NextCert (alias #2 - does not fail)

The clipping is an intermittent problem so you may not notice it right away. In order to recreate the issue, click on ‘Print/PDF’ and toggle between ‘portrait’ and ‘landscape’ mode. When the print preview fails, the certificate appears to be only partially drawn or clipped. The upper left part of the certificate can be seen, but the rest of the certificate does not appear as expected. This is separate from the cropping of the certificate when viewed in portrait mode.

At first we suspected a problem with the icef.com DNS server. But the fact that the problem is also evident when accessing ‘issuer-icef.netlify.app’ takes the icef.com domain out of the picture.

We’re at a loss and so suggestions are welcome.

Hi @wmclaxton

Is this a demonstration of the clipping you describe?

It appears all domains are served by Netlify, as opposed to having one on Netlify which doesn’t work while having one on another service which does.

I tested in Firefox and Safari and saw no errors. In Google Chrome, and Opera, I see this error. Both Chrome and Opera are based on Chromium. This suggests to me there is an issue with Chromium, not Netlify.

Yes @coelmay, your screenshot does accurately demonstrate the failure. I also noted that Firefox does not display the issue. I did not test in Safari and Opera. On the other hand, I have had developers in several countries verify the existence of this problem on some domains but not (our own) nextid.com.

The surprising thing is that it is related to domains at all. Also interesting that it fails on issuer-icef.netlify.app. That is why we are asking the Netlify community for assistance.

I’m really unsure what to say here. I can only second @coelmay that printing is not something managed by Netlify. The browser doesn’t make a request to Netlify to generate the preview, it prints the content that has already loaded and is visible on screen. The print function’s implementation differs from browser to browser and is not something Netlify can control or comment on.

Totally agree @hrishikesh - it’s puzzling. I have read that print previews are quite different from browser to browser and they tend to be fussy with HTML layouts, and things like CSS floats.

But let me point out that we have tested this on 4 different servers where the same application front-end is hosted on Netlify. None of the other servers has this issue. So why this particular Netlify deployment? It would not be the first time we (and others) have faced caching issues.

Definitely not, but what I’m saying is this has nothing to do with caching. The only time caching would be affecting this is when you’ve made some changes to rectify this problem and those changes are not going live. Is that what’s happening?

However, I’ve gone ahead and purged the cache for your website, in case that changes anything.

Thank you @hrishikesh. Sorry to report that the problem is still present, for example when viewing certificates using the netlify.app address.

In reply to your question, no we are not changing the code, redeploying and noticing that changes are not going live.

In that case, I’m really not able to understand how “caching” could be a problem. If it’s the same code being deployed, there’s nothing to clear from cache. Could you explain why you believe this is a caching issue?

1 Like

On Monday I will try this: (a) create a new instance, (b) re-assign the domain names, (c) deploy the latest code and (d) re-test. This should eliminate any hint of something cached in the CDN.