Migrate WordPress to Netlify, DNS advantages/disadvantages

Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but I am trying to use a Netlify hosted site on a WordPress domain for a client. I’ve read numerous community guides as well as the docs and I am left with a question that I thought I should ask before performing the “migration”.

As far as I can tell, there are two options to choose from:

1. Simply point the DNS records (A & CNAME) of the WordPress domain to our Netlify hosted site.
  2. Use the Netlify DNS and also move the name servers (delegate the domain to Netlify).

Option 1 is probably the easiest, but if I understand it correctly this means we would not have automatic continuous deployment, Git-integration, branch deploys, etc. etc. anymore? When reading the docs about Netlify DNS, it says that “it ensures that your sites uses our CDN”, i.e. Netlify Edge. Is my assumption correct that if we only point the DNS records to Netlify and keep using the WordPress DNS that these features would not work anymore?

Thanks!

No. DNS records have nothing to do with Netliy’s base features like continuous deployment and Git-integration. No matter how you point your domain to Netlify, those features would always be there. So, you’re probably good to go.

@hrishikesh thank you for your reply! Sounds good, will make the migration soon :slightly_smiling_face: