Mapping a folder to substack

Hi there,
I have a custom domain finlandlist.com that is mapped to finlandlist.netlify.app. A gatsby app.

Now I’d like to bring my substack newsletter under the same domain. So that users can brows my substack (finlandlist.substack.com) at finlandlist.com/blog.

Substack supports custom domains for a fee, using CNAME records. For example I could have it point to blog.finlandlist.com. But after that how would I bring it under finlandlist.com/blog?

Any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Simple, but, disappointing answer. You can’t. You can’t map a domain to a directory inside another domain, or in your case, a subdomain inside your primary domain. It’s not a Netlify restriction, it’s just not possible sadly.

The only situation in which it is possible is when you can actually get the website’s files (that is, all files responsible to render blog.finlandist.com in web browsers) and put them inside a folder called blog inside your primary domain’s root folder. I haven’t used Substack, but, it doesn’t seem so that it will give you your files. If it does, you’re in luck.

However, if it doesn’t, you still have two options:

1. The first one being, use redirect. The users will end up seeing blog.finlandist.com in their address bar, but, you can link to finlandist.com/blog/ and the redirect will take care of the rest.

2. (Not recommended) Use <iframe> to load blog.finlandist.com inside a webpage on finlandist.com/blog/. However, any link inside that page would anyway end up taking users to blog.finlandist.com.

2 Likes

Yes, disappointing indeed.

Thanks for clarification anyway :slight_smile:

1 Like