List of Netlify cms open source cms, which are not free!

Hi there,

I have few questions about the netlify open source cms what are the thing which are not totally free and netlify controls or limit.

1. can I do authentication using my own application instead of netlify identity.
  2. what data of my project is shared with netlify when using the free version of netlify cms?
  3. How many websites I can build with it is there any limit to number of website?
  4. what are some hidden limitations not clearly defined on the list page?

keep in mind I already use netlify cms for many sites but just wondering how big I can grow using netlify open source cms.

other than netlify which is the best place to host netlify cms?

thanks for taking the time

1. can I do authentication using my own application instead of netlify identity.

Absolutely. This list of external OAuth clients might get you going:

1. What data of my project is shared with Netlify when using the free version of netlify cms?

Netlify CMS needs direct access to your GitHub repository, as it is a git based CMS. More about repository access here:

1. How many websites I can build with it is there any limit to number of website?

If you wish to use Netlify as the hosting solution, the limits of your pricing plan apply:

If you host it yourself with your own external oauth access provider however, you can use it limitless. It’s an open source CMS, after all.

1. What are some hidden limitations not clearly defined on the list page?

That’s a hard one to answer, for obvious reasons. What part of the documentation do you find unclear? Which limitations would you like to know more about?

2 Likes

thanks that was really helpful, the login screen where it show netlify login and url can that be customisable to not confuse clients who visit the cms to edit?

thanks

Yes, you can change the logo with the logo_url property: