"link exists, all config must be empty"

Hi,

I’ve been trying to add A & AAAA records for api.sugar-snap.dev to my account but keep getting “dns_api sugar-snap.dev - api.sugar-snap.dev/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty” errors.

I’ve deleted the domain “api.sugar-snap.dev” from my account and waited over twelve hours but the NETLIFY records for that subdomain still exist. From searching it seems that this is a common bug and the NETLIFY records have to be manually deleted by Netlify staff, is that correct? If so would you mind deleting the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 records for api.sugar-snap.dev please?

Thanks,

Sam

One day, you’ll be able to do it in the UI, but for the time being it’s something we take care of on our end. Should be done for you now :slight_smile:

That’s great. Thanks!

I’ve been trying to add A records to my account but keep getting “dns_api hotelbt.tk - hotelbt.tk/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty” errors.

kindly help me i want to add a custom domain name and when i tried to set DNS and tried to Add a new record of type A pointing it to 104.198.14.52 it says “dns_api hotelbt.tk - hotelbt.tk/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty”

Hi Can you please help clear mine as well?
dns_api squarekicker.com - squarekicker.com/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty

Thanks

Hey @squarekicker,
I’m showing that you got A records created for that domain, so I’m guessing one of my colleagues flipped the bit to let you delete your previous records? Let me know if that’s not the case or if we can help with anything else!

Hi @jen I have the same problem, when I try to add Type A to my domain, it show “dns_api lukeexpress.com - lukeexpress.com/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty”, can you help me thanks.

This issue is caused by the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 records for the same name.

We have more information about the NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 type DNS records here:

Please read that support guide above for an in-depth explanation of how these records behave with our service. The three key points there are summarized as:

• These records are locked by default and can be unlocked by our support team.
  • These records only connect domain names to IP addresses.
  • These records do not control which site the domain name is linked to (if any).

If you want to delete some of these records, I’ve unlocked them and you can do so now. ​Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thanks for reply, I am new to it, I am just trying to connect it with AWS EC2 load balancer, and I read the doc in Aws which need to connect it with TYPE A record and using IPv4, and the CNAME I connected is for the SSL certificate in AWS, if I delete the CNAME for the TYPE A IPv4, will it cancel the certificate in AWS as well? thanks

@luke
Thanks for the reply, I am new to it, I am just trying to connect it with AWS EC2 load balancer, and I read the doc in Aws which need to connect it with TYPE A record and using IPv4, if I am right, and the CNAME I connected is for the SSL certificate in AWS, if I delete the CNAME for the TYPE A IPv4, will it cancel the certificate in AWS as well? or it is not related thanks

Hi, @wai0901. I’m not clear on what you mean when you say “trying to connect it with AWS EC2 load balancer”. Would you please tell us more about the goal here?

It would be helpful to know the custom domain name you are creating the DNS records for and what DNS records you plan to create. Also, what is the end goal of creating those DNS records?

For example you might say:

I’m creating an A record for subdomain.example.com which points to the IP address 1.2.3.4 which is the IP address for my AWS load balancer.

About SSL, the automatic Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates at our service only work for sites hosted here and there is no way to export them from service.

Even though we can’t create those for you, you can still use Let’s Encrypt for sites hosted in AWS. You can run the Let’s Encrypt certbot tool directly on an EC2 instance to provision SSL there if you point a custom domain to the EC2 instance with DNS.

If there are still questions, please send answers to my questions above. That information will help us provide a better answer to any question that remain.

I have the same problem with my domain fise.ml. Please could you clear the offending link? Thanks

hey there, we just flipped a switch that allows you to edit records without seeing that error message. let us know if you need anything else.

1 Like

Hi there. That actually didn’t work for me, I’m still seeing the same issue. I don’t believe I have any conflicting A records but please let me know if that isn’t the case. Thanks

you can’t have more than one A record (NETLIFY record) at a time, so in order to add a new one, you will have to remove the old one. Because this setting can cause your site to go offline(between deletion and re-adding) we lock this setting down so customers don’t accidentally break their sites.

We have unlocked the setting for you so that you can now delete and re-add a new record at your convenience.

some more info:

1 Like

Hi @perry could you do the same for all domains please? I’d also prefer it if you could allow me to delete these records in the future on my own so if you had a setting to toggle that feature for my account would really appreciate it.

Thanks @perry, guess I expected the NETLIFY record would be removed when I unassigned the domain from the app, no bother!

Hi, @rjbernaldo, the “is it deletable” setting is a setting on the DNS records themselves. There isn’t a site or DNS zone setting for this.

Why does this matter? We can only change this setting after the DNS record is created. At this time, there is no method for our support team to change this for future records which have yet to be created. We can unlock records for deletion but the record must exist before this can be done.

@adamnpeace, yes, the records do have to be deleted manually. We don’t automatically delete them because a 404 page was considered preferable to a DNS lookup error. One of the two would happen (404 or DNS error) and the 404 was considered “the lesser of two errors”.

Please reply anytime if there are other questions or more we can do to assist.

@luke Can you please delete the current A records for all my domains please? I understand that it might cause some downtime, I am prepared for it.