Home
Support Forums

Incomplete Build

When I deploy the preview branch of my site I get incomplete builds. Sometimes I get nothing (Page Not Found) some times I get incomplete builds in the footpaths section. For example, Accessible Duffield isn’t being generated. I can see no errors in the logs and downloading the build from the deploy details is also missing content. The only thing I can see is that the footpath generation from Sanity shows this – “Benchmark (Data): ./src/_data/footpaths.js took 648ms (41.1%)”. Is it timing out? Are there other logs that might give more info?

Hi @accessibleduffield,

I’m not sure what you mean. The link that you’ve provided works normally, but by the description of your problem, it should not. If you could elaborate, it might help us understand the problem better.

Additionally, if you can send links of the errors as you say Page Not Found, etc. that would help too.

Thanks for looking at this @hrishikesh

I have rebuilt the site by pushing a minor update via Git so all the pages are now built.

This is an Eleventy site with the data for the footpath content coming from Sanity.

Whenever I make a content change in Sanity and deploy the update I either get a “Page Not Found” across the whole site or the later footpath pages aren’t built. This is confirmed by the Netligy deploy download of the build. Either I only get assets like CSS and some images or footpath HTML files are missing. The Deploy Summary says “All files already uploaded” but this is one of the deploy previews with only asset content – https://60f7d6d50ce529dce6d39bab--accessibleduffield.netlify.app/

A “Retry deploy > Deploy site” or “Retry deploy > Clear cache and deploy site” doesn’t improve matters.

I don’t see any errors in the Netlify Deploy Log apart from the “Benchmark” note of the time taken.

Obviously this all works perfectly locally and has been working in production for a number of weeks.

Is there some other log that has more detail about what it’s actually done?

interesting - do you have a repo we can look at?

@perry Thanks, sure – GitHub - accessibleduffield/www

Hi @accessibleduffield,

This looks like a problem to connect with the Sanity instance. It’s possible that it’s failing and there might be a number of reasons for that for example, it might be rate limiting requests from Netlify. Another possible cause could be that your build is actually failing, but it’s not returning an error code while exiting. Thus, Netlify is publishing the build.

If I can have your permission, I can use your API keys and test your website on my end. If you can provide me some other API keys to test, that would do too.

Thank you @hrishikesh I’m happy for you to use my API keys. Do I need to provide them to you, securely, or can you gain access as a Netlify Support Engineer?

Hi @accessibleduffield,

Yeah, I can access them from here. Thank you for your permission. I’ll check it and let you know.

Hi @accessibleduffield,

I’m not sure if I’m missing something. When I run npm run build locally, I get only this:

There’s no footpath route like you mentioned in the first post.

Yes, that’s what gets generated by a Netlify build. What are you seeing in the package.json in the root of the repo? This is what I have…

"scripts": {

"build": "rm -rf ./_site && npm run build:eleventy & npm run build:tailwind",

"build:eleventy": "npx @11ty/eleventy --input ./src/",

"build:tailwind": "TAILWIND_MODE=build NODE_ENV=production postcss ./tailwind.css --output ./_site/assets/css/styles.css",

"dev": "rm -rf ./_site && npm run dev:eleventy & npm run dev:tailwind",

"dev:eleventy": "npx @11ty/eleventy --input ./src/ --serve",

"dev:tailwind": "TAILWIND_MODE=watch NODE_ENV=development postcss ./tailwind.css --output ./_site/assets/css/styles.css --watch"

},

…which should clear _sites and use Eleventy to rebuild the site with Sanity to generate those footpath pages and Tailwind for the CSS.

The package.json in your repo above is different than the one you mention here. However, I copied the scripts and ran npm run build and got the output I mentioned. How do I get Sanity to work?

Ah, I’m doing a branch deploy of preview which might explain why you’re seeing something different?

Hi @accessibleduffield,

Yes, I was using the other branch. When using the preview one, I am getting a weird result.

The build never exits. Here’s what I get:

npm run build

> accessible-duffield@1.0.0 build
> rm -rf ./_site && npm run build:eleventy & npm run build:tailwind

> accessible-duffield@1.0.0 build:tailwind
> TAILWIND_MODE=build NODE_ENV=production postcss ./tailwind.css --output ./_site/assets/css/styles.css

> accessible-duffield@1.0.0 build:eleventy
> npx @11ty/eleventy --input ./src/

(node:8111) [DEP0128] DeprecationWarning: Invalid 'main' field in '/Users/hrishikesh/Desktop/www-preview/node_modules/emitter-mixin/package.json' of 'y'. Please either fix that or report it to the module author
(Use `node --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)

warn - You have enabled the JIT engine which is currently in preview.
warn - Preview features are not covered by semver, may introduce breaking changes, and can change at any time.
(node:8103) [DEP0148] DeprecationWarning: Use of deprecated folder mapping "./" in the "exports" field module resolution of the package at /Users/hrishikesh/Desktop/www-preview/node_modules/postcss/package.json.
Update this package.json to use a subpath pattern like "./*".
(Use `node --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
hrishikesh@Hrishikeshs-MacBook-Pro www-preview % Benchmark (Data): `./src/_data/footpaths.js` took 1227ms (65.1%)
Copied 8 files / Wrote 40 files in 1.59 seconds (39.8ms each, v0.12.1)

The cursor keeps blinking forever. I have to manually terminate it. But yes, I can see the same ‘incomplete’ behaviour on the Netlify environment.

I’d advise to get this part of the build fixed first. The build command should self-exit with a proper exit code.

Thank you for your time @hrishikesh

I’m new to this and I’m not sure what that message means or what “emitter-mixin” does. I don’t get that error on my local build.

It seems to be an intermittant issues, which of course are the hardest to solve.

Where can I see a more detail deploy log?