Home
Support Forums

I'm having issues setting up my custom domain

I’ve switched from Google Domains to Porkbun and Webflow to Netlify/Hugo. I’m having issues getting everything working. Its been 2 days and the SSL section on Netlify says “doesn’t appear to be served by Netlify”. If I try to use setup Netlify DNS it tells me that the “name is already taken, tristengrant.com is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones”. From what I’ve read it sounds like my domain may be connected to an old account or something, which is possible.

my Netlify site is tristengrant.netlify.app

I’ve set up the ‘verified-for-netlify’ within my domain, tristengrant.com

Hi, @tristengrant. I’m not seeing that DNS record when I query for it. For example here:

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/verified-for-netlify.tristengrant.com

Or locally:

$ dig verified-for-netlify.tristengrant.com TXT

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> verified-for-netlify.tristengrant.com TXT
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 60431
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;verified-for-netlify.tristengrant.com. IN TXT

;; Query time: 79 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Tue Aug 17 22:11:06 PDT 2021
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 66

Would you please confirm the name of the record that was created for verification?

I’ve set it up in Porkbun as shown in the screenshot, but yeah I’m not seeing it with the toolbox.

Hi @tristengrant,

I think there’s something wrong going on with the domain. It’s as if the domain doesn’t exist.

Not just the TXT records, but none of the records are receiving answers. Try checking any record here: Dig (DNS lookup)

I think it’s worth asking the registrar to know what’s happening.

Alright, I’ve emailed Porkbun. Just waiting on their reply. Thanks. :slight_smile:

I haven’t had much of a reply from my registrar so I’ve reset everything and removed the custom domain from Netlify.

Now, when I go to my Team’s Domains section on Netlify and add my domain (tristengrant.com) and verify it and selecting ‘add domain’. I get the message “name is already taken, tristengrant.com is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones”.

My guess from reading other posts is that the domain is still connected to an old Netlify account or something. Is there any way I can fix this?

1 Like

Still no word from Porkbun or Netlify.

Hey there, @tristengrant :wave:

Thanks for your patience here!

I believe that your second to last post here is right, this is most likely happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Let me know if this helps!

No worries. I’m not sure which account would have access but I’ve added the domain ownership info to my domain.

Thanks @hillary!

Hey there, @tristengrant :wave:

Thanks for following up so quickly.

Unfortunately, I am unable to view your verification steps that you followed. This leads us back to @hrishikesh’s point from above, that there is still most likely a registrar issue. I wish I had better news for you here!

There aren’t additional steps I can take to assist you without further information from your registrar. That being said, I will leave this thread open so that you can follow up once you hear back from them!

Let me know if you have any further questions in the interim :netlisparkles:

Ok, my registrar and I have cleared everything. I’ve verified using the Google Admin Toolbox that my netlify verification TXT is added to my domain.

But, I’m still not able to add my domain to my account.

Hi there, @tristengrant :wave:

Thanks so much for following up! We have completed the verification, and this domain should now be free to use. :slight_smile: