Home
Support Forums

iCloud as email provider settings/records not working, possibly CNAME issue?

I can’t get iCloud’s DNS records to work:

Can anyone spot what’s wrong? Or can anyone confirm that they have set up iCloud Mail with Netlify before?

I suspect the issue might be with the CNAME record - Netlify automatically appends the domain name, but I don’t think Apple wants that.

Here are Apple’s instructions: Set up an existing domain with iCloud Mail – Apple Support (UK)
Relevant part:

MX: 
host: [example.com].
points to: mx01.mail.icloud.com.
priority: 10
TTL: 3600 

host: [example.com].
points to: mx02.mail.icloud.com.
priority: 10
TTL: 3600

TXT: 
host: [example.com].
points to: " v=spf1 redirect=icloud.com"
TTL: 3600

CNAME: 
host: sig1._domainkey
points to: sig1.dkim.[example.com].at.icloudmailadmin.com.
TTL: 3600

TXT:
host: [example.com].
points to: [personal TXT record provided during setup]
TTL: 3600

Apple would definitely want that, that’s how DNS works.

About the issue, there’s not a lot we can suggest without knowing the domain name. Could you please help us with that? You could also login with the email address associated with the Netlify team and we could find the domain that way, but it would be a longer route for the same task.

Thanks so much for a speedy response!

I’ve already moved my email back to an external DNS (as that works) and am waiting for the A record to take effect.
Here’s the site: https://wonderful-lamport-909722.netlify.app/ (domain pius.cloud)

If I could get it to work on Netlify I’d prefer that so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks again!

At the moment, you appear to be using external DNS, so sadly we can’t test/recommend anything.

Chances are Netlify DNS was incorrectly configured, but since it’s a thing in the past now, it’s just a guess. If you’d be willing to change nameservers again while we get this checked, that could help.

I’ve switched back to Netlify DNS, added everything again and it works!

I’m not 100% sure what was the issue yesterday, but seems like your encouragement helped.

I think it might have been the quotes in the SPF record. Apple says to try the SPF with quotes first, then without quotes ("v=spf1 redirect=icloud.com" vs v=spf1 redirect=icloud.com). Which I did, but must have gotten something wrong. Today I tried with quotes again - didn’t work. Tried without quotes and worked immediately.

Thanks again!