I complained that someone was spamming my website's forms, and Netlify blocked my account for it?

My account has been blocked and the only thing I can think of is that it was because I put in a support request saying that someone was spamming me and asking what I could do about it.

For that I got blocked?

How can I fix this issue? My account is JeremyWasHere (Jeremy Parnell) · GitHub My primary website is jeremyparnell.com

My websites are all down and I can’t get in!

Because you vaporized my DNS settings, my email doesn’t even work.

I can’t even get what my DNS settings were so I can recreate them outside of Netlify!

Wow. This is a train wreck. All of my websites been completely wiped off the Internet, without notice! I can not, in good conscience, ever recommend using Netlify for DNS again.

Please restore my site now so that I can get my DNS settings back.

Luckily for you DNS History has a record of these https://dnshistory.org/dns-records/jeremyparnell.com

That is lucky! Thank you!

Would be really nice to get my access back, though.

This is a start!

I’m sure it would. Time to reflect, look at what other providers have to offer perhaps?

hi :wave:t6: thanks for reaching out and welcome to the netlify support forums! I can see your account has been re-enabled. If this is not the case please feel free to write back in.

My account has been “re-enabled”, but when I go to log in via Github it says:

Authentication Error

Authenticating failed due to the following error: We already have a registered user with this email address. Log in to connect your GitHub account.

I have only ever logged in through Github, so I don’t know what my password would be if I ever did set one.

Of course, I can’t use the reset password feature because you guys destroyed my DNS and I no longer have email!

I am in the process of trying to reconstruct my DNS outside of Netlify so that I can have email again and do a reset password and regain access to my Netlify account.

If all of this sounds ridiculous, it’s because it is. You guys really should be more careful. You destroyed my account through an automated process where you misunderstood what I was asking in a support question. There was no human oversight. You guys need to fix this.

At minimum, you should not destroy DNS settings if you choose to block someone’s account. Those DNS settings point to other services that have nothing to do with you (such as my email). You’re not only blocking my website, you’re blocking third-party services as well, essential services, like my email!

The messed up thing is that I think you guys could fix this for me without waiting for DNS to propagate by changing the email address on my account to one that is working, but I’m afraid to even ask for support because you guys will nuke my account again thinking I said something else! :joy:

Long story short, whatever was done to “re-enable” my account did not actually restore my account. The DNS settings were still gone. My site was still unavailable. Apparently Github isn’t associated with my account anymore. You guys destroyed my account, essentially.

Hopefully when these DNS settings go through I can get back in and set things back up.

I will never use Netlify’s DNS again. It gives Netlify way too much control over your business and that’s incredibly risky when they will block your account without notice, through automated processes, and destroy your DNS so that you can’t even get back in if your email address on the account is controlled by that DNS. I wish I had known.

If any human being read my support request, none of this would have happened. Now I’m close to 24 hours in on wasted time trying to fix this.

Jeremy, I am truly sorry for this terrible experience. I’ve reached out to you via your support ticket, but also wanted to comment here on your post that you are correct, this should not have happened to you. We are investigating why your sites were taken down and why our internal process broke down.

I know we have lost your trust here. I would like to ask if there is anything specific we can do to make it up to you. Regaining your trust is our priority, and we want to ensure that we make amends to you in a meaningful way.

Whether it’s offering a credit, providing additional support, or any other gesture that would help restore your trust in us, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We are here to listen and to do everything we can to make things right for you.

Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and distress this situation caused. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, and I appreciate the opportunity to address it and improve our service.

I finally have access back to my email and was able to use the Reset Password feature to log back in. So I’m good. You can close out my Support Ticket. I appreciate the apology.

What I would ask is that internally you guys have whatever conversations you need to reconsider these policies:

• Automatic blocking of your customers in response to perceived complaints without any human oversight. I get it. Automation is desirable. Maybe some things shouldn’t be automated.
  • Removal of DNS when you block customers. This one is critical, from a technical standpoint. So much could have been avoided here if you didn’t destroy my access to sending and receiving email. I feel you really had no right to do that (completely third-party service), but more importantly it rendered the Reset Password feature unusable.

Until you guys fix those policies, I really don’t think anyone should use your DNS features. Way too risky.

Appreciate the support!

2 Likes

Jeremy, we will absolutely take your feedback into account internally. Thank you for being so gracious and offering up your thoughts on how to improve our policies. I truly appreciate it. We have a meeting this week to discuss your experience and your comments will be shared then. Thank you.