Home
Support Forums

How to set up a Namecheap domain with Netlify without replacing Namecheap nameservers

I have a Netlify site hosted at say xxx.netlify.app. Now I bought a domain at Namecheap. To make it point to the netlify app, I set a ALIAS DNS record to xxx.netlify.app.

But on accessing the Namecheap domain site, I get the NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID error on Chrome.
It also says:

You cannot visit xxx.dev right now because the website uses HSTS.
Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

Now I know that I could change the Namecheap nameservers to the ones Netlify recommends for custom domains. But I would like to do it without that because, by the looks of it, I think ALIAS record should have worked.

What am I doing wrong here?

This is how you can configure your domain to point to Netlify without changing nameservers: https://docs.netlify.com/domains-https/custom-domains/configure-external-dns/#configure-an-apex-domain

Hi already did this as Namecheap does support ALIAS record. But my problem is with HSTS blocking my domain from going to the Netlify domain.

Is Namecheap also managing your SSL?

No, I don’t have any SSL certificate for the Namecheap domain.

Do you mind sharing the link to your website? I mean, the Namecheap domain.

The domain is mohsinulhaq.dev

Does your Netlify dashboard show that SSL has been issued to your domain? Because from what I see here…

…seems like the certificate is still only for the Netlify subdomain on your website and not your domain.

No, I have done nothing about that. How do I issue the netlify cert for my own domain as well?

Generally speaking it gets issued automatically when setting up website with Netlify DNS, but I’m not sure if it’s the same case with ALIAS records.

Oh no, I am setting up the ALIAS record on Namecheap, not Netlify

No I got that. By Netlify DNS, I meant when you’re pointing your domain’s nameservers to the ones of Netlify. When you’re doing that, the SSL is generated automatically.

Does your Netlify Dashboard show that the domain is connected to your website? As long as that doesn’t happen, Netlify won’t issue an SSL.

As I mentioned in the title, I wanted to do this task without changing the Namecheap nameservers to the Netlify ones. Is there no way to do that?

I know of two ways in total: Nameservers and A+CNAME. I’m not really aware of the setup using ALIAS records.

As I asked multiple times before, does your Netlify dashboard say your domain is connected? Because if not, then SSL would never be issued.

1 Like

Ok, I’m an idiot. I just added the custom domain on the Netlify dashboard and now it all works! Thanks a lot for your time.

No biggie, glad it’s all sorted out now.