Home
Support Forums

How to resolve custom domain is owned by another account

Hi, I want to custom the domain using one I have got (ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk) with a userid different to the one I’m using in netlify.

I followed all the instructions, getting in the process the following error:

offyoucode.co.uk already has an owner. Is it you?

Then, I click on yes add domain, and I got

custom_domain is owned by another account

Thanks

Hi, @emrosales. I do show this in use on a different account. We can delete the domain from any other accounts if a verification DNS record is created. There are instructions for that process here:

​Please let us know if there are any question, in which case we will be happy to answer. Likewise, please let us know if a verification record has been created, in which case we will remove the domain from the other account.

Hello @perry, I also have a domain (ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk), with a different username, therefore, after verifying I’ve got the following message " already has an owner. Is it you?", I clicked on “yes, add domain”, but the following error appears “custom_domain is owned by another account”. Shoud the user name be the same? Is there another way to add the domain I’ve got?
Thanks

Thanks @luke, I have created the DNS record on the host. How long will it take to remove the domain from the other account?
Thanks again,

Hi, @emrosales. I’m not seeing an DNS record when I test:

$ dig verified-for-netlify.offyoucode.co.uk. TXT

; <<>> DiG 9.10.6 <<>> verified-for-netlify.offyoucode.co.uk. TXT
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 57423
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;verified-for-netlify.offyoucode.co.uk. IN TXT

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
offyoucode.co.uk.	1799	IN	SOA	ns1.thecompletewebhosting.com. issam.baou.ho.gmail.com. 2019120501 14400 3600 1209600 86400

;; Query time: 153 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Wed Nov 25 18:46:42 PST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 151

This can also be verified with this third-party DNS lookup (Google’s web based dig site):

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/verified-for-netlify.offyoucode.co.uk

If you created a different verification record, please let us know what the record is.

Thanks for your answer @luke, I’ve got two txt files with the same name but different value…I’ve deleted the older one.
Thanks again

Hi, @emrosales. I’m not sure what you mean about a text file.

The instructions say to create a TXT type DNS record at your domain registrar. If you did that, what is the domain name you used?

​Please let us know if there are questions about how to do this.

This is my domain…http://ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk/

The last line of the image shows the entry I have created.
Thanks again

Hi, @emrosales. The issue here is that when I query for these DNS records, nothing is found. I in now way think you are trying to trick me at all but screenshots can be faked so the screenshot itself cannot be used.

DNS is a public protocol. Anyone anywhere in the world with an internet connection should be able to make a DNS query for this record to confirm it. I just need you to tell me what DNS record you created.

Based on the screenshot, it appears the record is a TXT type DNS record with a name of:

• verified-for-netlify.offyoucode.co.uk

or, possibly:

• verified-for-netlify.ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk

However, when I query for either record, nothing is found:

$ dig +noall +answer  verified-for-netlify.offyoucode.co.uk TXT
$ dig +noall +answer  verified-for-netlify.ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk TXT
$

Interestingly, the ftp and other records above do work, for example:

$ dig +noall +answer ftp.ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk
ftp.ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk. 14399	IN A	81.19.215.165

That A record works but the TXT records above do not.

I also noticed an additional ‘.’ character at the end of the string verified-for-netlify in the screenshot. Note it isn’t possible for me to query for verified-for-netlify. + .ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk as this puts two ‘.’ characters in a row which isn’t allowed by the DNS specification:

$ dig +noall +answer  verified-for-netlify..ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk TXT
dig: 'verified-for-netlify..ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk' is not a legal name (empty label)

So, you might need to remove that dot or otherwise make a change to get the DNS record looking. To check if it is working for other people, you can test using one of the two URLs below (whichever matches the record you make):

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/verified-for-netlify.ericrosales.offyoucode.co.uk
https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/verified-for-netlify.offyoucode.co.uk

If there are other questions, please let us know.

1 Like

Oh, sorry for so much trouble! I’m new to this stuff, I’m learning…in the solution provided states to try with the dot at the end…and I didn´t how to test it…I removed the dot and test it with the links provided…

as the image show there no error and answer is shown
Thanks again for your assistance

Perfect! It is working for me now as well and the domain has been deleted from the other account.

Each DNS host is different. I think that dot example is given specifically because someone asked that it be added. I changed that verbiage now to say to try it both ways. With the DNS services I use it is never required so I personally think we might remove that from the example and put using the dot as the footnote in the parentheses.

Anyway, we got there. If there are other questions or if there are any issues adding the custom domain now, please let us know.

Thanks again, I completed the step 2, not it is asking to redirect the DNS Domain to the netlify servers…
What if I don’t want to go further, I mean…I like this tool to test the behaviour of webpages being developed; but when putthem into a real website, I do like more to pass them into my domain…so, can this step be undo?
Thanks

Hi, @emrosales. All I did was delete the custom domain from the other account.

There are two ways to use custom domain with Netlify site.

Both can be reverted at any time but the time to live (TTL) values must be considered when making any DNS change (which is universal to DNS and not specific to Netlify).

Thanks, I’m looking for the way to change the servernames in my host-domain…

Thank you very much

Hi, if you are looking to use Netlify DNS (which isn’t required - you can use external DNS instead), that change can be reverted at any time.

How to make that change would be specific to your domain registrar. I show that the registrar is NameCheap for that domain name so the changes would need to be made there.