How to fix SSL renew fail while using Ezoic proxy?

My site is proxied through Ezoic for ad serving. Is this why there’s a problem renewing my SSL cert? How do I fix this? Ezoic says: If the SSL is provided via your host you could reach out to them and explain that you haven’t migrated hosting - you’re simply using Ezoic as proxy to change ad combinations on the site, but we don’t control your dns - we just make a copy in your Ezoic account. Sometimes explaining this helps allay any misunderstanding on the host’s part, and then they will renew your SSL for you.

If the SSL has been purchased separately, you could reach out to Let’s Encrypt and let them know that your site is now going via Ezoic’s proxy. They should be able to auto-renew the certificate whilst the name servers are pointing to Ezoic, but if they say this isn’t possible you may need to remove integration, renew the certificate, and then reintegrate.

If you proxy to Netlify, you will need to provide your own SSL certificates. There is more about why in this support guide (which is about Cloudflare but this applies to all other proxies as well):

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Thanks Luke,

It appears that my Ezoic site is serving things through their own SSL certificate. It’s been working since I added things in September, I guess that means I should just ignore the Let’s Encrypt can’t renew message? Is there a way to tell it “all set” ?

Ezoic has an option to activate Cloudflare - but I haven’t done that - and I should probably just leave that as is too?

Mitch

Hi, @mitchallen. It is possible tha Ezoic depends on our SSL certificate working. If so, when the SSL certificate at Netlify stops working Ezoic may stop working also. Would you please confirm if that is true or not?

Is there a way to tell it “all set” ?

You can upload your own custom SSL certificate or you can delete the custom domain from the site. Those are the only two way I know of for Netlify to stop providing our own SSL. Also, if the existing certificate expires we will eventually only attempt to renew once a day and stop completely if the daily renewals fail long enough.

Ezoic has an option to activate Cloudflare - but I haven’t done that - and I should probably just leave that as is too?

It is hard to say without knowing exactly what it means to “activate Cloudflare” there. What specifically would change if you did that?