Home
Support Forums

How to fix "A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1"?

Last year I created a Netlify team and deployed static website example.netlify.app. And that’s pointed to example.com. But later year I have decided to delete the website and doing so I have deleted the team too.

Now I have created example.netlify.app along with my previous domain name in my own personal team and when I decided to use Netlify dns it won’t allow me to add it instead it’s display below error.

A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1

Later I found that domain actually indeed pointing to the netlify dns but I have decided to switch to name cheap basic dns and I thought that above error is happening because of the dns already pointing to the netlify dns. And changing it will solve the error. But I am wrong.

Anyhow please guide me to solve the above error. Thanks.

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having some domain woes :frowning: Give this guide a read through, hopefully it will solve your problem. Let us know if it doesn’t.

This is related to name.com right? I am using namecheap.com. Is it same as name.com?

Hi there, thanks for following up!

name.com and namecheap.com are two different sites. The guide that Perry shared is specific to name.com’s UI. As stated in the above guide: “for other domain registrars, you may need to reach out to them directly for additional guidance on removing these NS records and DNS zone.

We do have this related thread that discusses namecheap domains.

@rajasimon If you share your custom domain name, others will be better able to help you.

2 Likes

My custom domain name is hackerassist.com and the netlify address is hackerassist.netlify.com

Hi, @rajasimon. The DNS zone doesn’t exist under Netlify’s account at NS1. If you are getting this error, someone else created the DNS zone. We cannot create one under our NS1 account because there is a “zone collision” with the existing DNS zone under some other account. (At Netlify, we have no way of telling who made the zone.)

If you contact the support team at NS1, they can help get this DNS zone deleted from their service so we can create a new zone for it. Here is someone with the same issue in the link below. For them, contacting NS1 worked to resolve the issue:

@rajasimon The registrar, NameCheap, offers free privacy for registrants, so this is all we know about that person:

Registrant Name: Withheld for Privacy Purposes
Registrant Organization: Privacy service provided by Withheld for Privacy ehf
Registrant Street: Kalkofnsvegur 2 
Registrant City: Reykjavik
Registrant State/Province: Capital Region
Registrant Postal Code: 101
Registrant Country: IS
Registrant Phone: +354.4212434
Registrant Phone Ext: 
Registrant Fax: 
Registrant Fax Ext: 
Registrant Email: d01ffe69f74d4a95a324e00d7a1e90ad.protect@withheldforprivacy.com

You might try sending a message to that privatized e-mail, though.

Why I have to send an email to that private email? I am the owner of this domain. And also I have contacted ns1 support and awaiting for the reply.

@rajasimon OK. I was under the impression that there was some confusion about who had control over this custom domain.

That’s okay thanks for you help. Does NS1 guys to take longer time to reply?

is it same process for namesillo?

Hi there, @rajasimon

Unfortunately, I cannot provide a quote on how long it may take to communicate with NS1. Thanks for understanding.

Hey there, @tedkcole :wave:

Did you read this Support Guide?

As stated in the above guide: “ for other domain registrars, you may need to reach out to them directly for additional guidance on removing these NS records and DNS zone."

Let me know if this answers your questions!