How to determine IP address of default subdomain?

Hi everyone,
Netlify recommends to create a DNS configuration with pointing apex domain using A record to IP address of default subdomain “example.netlify.com”. In the instruction the address 104.198.14.52 is used as an example of the subdomain. But how to get the actual IP number to create this record? I used different tools, such as nslookup, dig, etc., but every time I got different numbers.
Thank you in advance.

For the bare domain, the A record 104.198.14.52 should be used and never varies.

For subdomains, the CNAME record should be used and NO IP address should ever be needed or used by you. The IP varies constantly, and this will always be the case (for the CNAMEs).

Could you tell me: what are you trying to accomplish, exactly? You should not need our IP for the subdomains for any reason except things that don’t work well, like proxying to us, or setting an A record using one of the IP’s you find from the CNAME, will not work well and is not recommended or supported.

Hi Chris,

Thank you for quick and clear answer!

I pointed my bare (apex) domain on IP address 104.198.14.52 using record A – not Alias, and now it is working well! I don’t realise why it was not working earlier… It may be because I used record A Alias pointed on that IP or when I used not Alias I did not wait enough for the record propagation.

I would gladly share with you what I am trying accomplish. I created custom domains on Netlify: ‘www.request4service.com’ as a primary domain as well apex domain ‘request4service.com’ (which redirects to the primary domain), and ‘request4service.netlify.com’ as a default subdomain.

For these domains I created records on hosted zone of AWS:

www.request4service.com CNAME default subdomain

apex domain NS record…

apex domain SOA record…

api.request4service.com A Alias record…

apex domain A (not Alias) 104.198.14.52

I had problem with the last record until today. Still now I am not confident that I got success and I am testing that with different browsers and on different comps. Your any comment or advise would be highly appreciated.

Thank you again for your help!

I don’t see any site on our service configured to use the hostname “api.request4service.com”, but if you intend us to host it, that should be a CNAME pointing to the relevant-netlify-sitename.netlify.com as well, once you configure a site with that hostname here.

You would indeed not be able to use an ALIAS to point to our service from AWS, they shouldn’t even let you configure it since those are only intended for use from AWS to other hosts in AWS, which most of our CDN nodes are not.

Thank you for comments.
All the records, I listed in the previous message, were created on Route53 AWS. Two of these records are pointed on Netlify default domain or Netlify IP address:

1. www.request4service.com CNAME request4service.netlify.com
  2. ‘request4service A (not alias) 104.198.14.52’

So far I intended to keep all the records with AWS, as I don’t know about advantages of hosting them on Netlify. For creating the records I used some steps described here: Custom Domains in Netlify
The custom domains ‘www.request4service.com’ and ‘request4service’ were created with Netlify.
Thank you again for support.

OK, that sounds like it should work and seems to be configured correctly. Any problems still exist?

Yes, now is working fine. Thank you for your quick and valuable response!

My DNS is managed by Netlify and simplertasks.com works perfectly.

I want to set up a subdomain… what value to use, my setting that are not working are below, thanks!

bulletpoints.simplertasks.com
IN
CNAME
Name
bulletpoints.simplertasks.com
TTL3600 seconds
TypeCNAME
Value192.168.250.1

Hi, @simplertasks. The instructions for subdomain can be found here:

https://docs.netlify.com/domains-https/custom-domains/configure-external-dns/#configure-a-subdomain

If there are questions about those instructions, please let us know.

Thanks for prompt reply…
I followed instuctions, but not working ,
do you see anything wrong with my settings in screenshot.

Hi, @simplertasks. The instructions on that page say this:

To point a subdomain such as blog.petsofnetlify.com or www.petsofnetlify.com to your site on Netlify, you must first add the domain to your site on Netlify and then create a CNAME record with your DNS provider.

Did you do the " you must first add the domain to your site on Netlify" step?

If not, you must add it here for this to work:

However, once you do so, it should start working almost instantly as the DNS record you added is working and correct. If adding the domain on that page above doesn’t fix this, please let us know.

Thanks for reply, I did that step.( you must first add the domain to your site on Netlify" step?)
My settings:

Your site is always accessible at a netlify.app subdomain based on the site name. Custom domains allow visitors to access your site at your own domains.

bulletpoints-simplertasks.netlify.app
Netlify subdomain

and then I set up the CNAME - see image above.

What did I miss, maybe it’s a typo?

I appreciate the good support , thanks

Is this error helpful?

If this is your site, and you weren't expecting a 404 for this path, please visit Netlify's "page not found" support guide for troubleshooting tips.

Netlify Internal ID: 01HG0RKGT80R8TYQVDB6GDBV22

Hi, @simplertasks. This is a screenshot of the domain management page (the one linked to above):

The domain (which is bulletpoints.simplertasks.com) has definitely not be added as shown above. The domain must be added on the page shown above first before it will work for this site at Netlify.

Note, the recommended DNS record does exist:

bulletpoints.simplertasks.com. 3600 IN	CNAME	bulletpoints-simplertasks.netlify.app.

So, if you add the domain on the page above, it should start working almost instantly.

Sorry, I’m just not getting it right… I get error (see screenshot below) when trying to do what you say…
Thanks for your patience Luke.

simplertasks.com
Registered through an external provider.

Added to Netlify on Oct 27 (a month ago)

3 DNS records.
DNS settings
Manage the Domain Name System (DNS) settings for this domain. Learn more

DNS records
simplertasks.com
IN
NETLIFY
simplertasks.netlify.app
www.simplertasks.com
IN
NETLIFY
simplertasks.netlify.app
simplertasks.com
IN
TXT
openai-domain-verification=dv-49PJ0A1oV4

You need to add the domain from here: Domain management | bulletpoints-simplertasks | Netlify, not from where you’re adding.

Well that works first time, so easy… I guess I got lost in the other instructions. thanks!
" Good news! simplertasks.com is already on Netlify DNS, so you can add your subdomain."

1 Like