Home
Support Forums

How does the contact form work?

Hey Guys!

Finally, I shifted from Ghost with almost 1000 blogpost on this Netlify CMS Hugo site https://bandra.info

I have almost figured out everything, except for the contact form. I tried to send a few test messages to my self but don’t know where they are going, also there isn’t any confirmation also that the message is sent.

Here is the contact page - Contact | Connecting Neighbours

and below is the code

<div class="mb4">
  <h4 class="f3 b lh-title mb3 tc">Drop us a line below</h4>

<form action="">
    <div class="flex-l mhn1-l">
      <!-- Name -->
      <div class="ph1-l w-50-l">
        <fieldset>
          <input type="text" id="name" name="name" placeholder="Name" class="w-100 mb2">
          <label for="name">Name</label>
        </fieldset>
      </div>
      <!-- Email -->
      <div class="ph1-l w-50-l">
        <fieldset>
          <input type="email" id="email" name="email" placeholder="Email" class="w-100 mb2">
          <label for="email">Email</label>
        </fieldset>
      </div>
    </div>

<!-- Message -->
    <fieldset>
      <textarea id="message" name="message" placeholder="Your message" rows="8" cols="80" class="w-100"></textarea>
      <label for="message">Your message</label>
    </fieldset>
    <!-- Button -->
    <div class="tc">
      <button type="submit" class="btn w-100 w-auto-ns raise">Submit</button>
    </div>
  </form>
</div>

Hi there, @exist2021 :wave:

Sorry you are having trouble getting your forms to work.

This Support Guide is the first port of call to debug any forms issues. Have you already read through this and taken all of the troubleshooting steps? There are also many other Support Guides for forms - you can find them here: #Netlify-support:support-guides

We also recommend trying to search the forums or look at topics tagged Netlify forms if you haven’t already - it’s likely your question was already asked by someone else!

If you are still having problems, please provide the information we ask for in the Forms support guide. Thank you!

Ok, will check.

Is there a different forum for Netlify cms?

As I am not a coder, but just a content*

Way too complex documentation for a layman to understand. Phew!

Hi @exist2021,

If you can explain what part you didn’t understand or found tough, we could try to explain it.

However, we can’t write code for you. The form works fairly easily by simply copy-pasting from the docs, but if it doesn’t you’d have to do some reading of the documentation.

For starters, you’re not using any of the Netlify-form specific syntax on the form. The code should be like <form data-netlify = "true" name = "contact">

Honestly. I have no idea where do insert this… – >

Your instructions are mostly understood by someone who has some background in coding.

Anyway I have managed to build the site except the contact form is not working, which I am sure will get sorted, if someone who can explain me as 'non-coder" who just wants to get the form working.

Hi @exist2021,

You’ve your form tag here.

So when I said, the code should be like

I think I meant you need to replace that tag with the line above.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

It worked.