Help Needed: "Page Already Exists" Error with Netlify CMS

Hi everyone,

I’m running into a bit of an issue with Netlify CMS and could really use some help. Whenever I try to edit my index.md page in the visual editor during the creation of my website at https://mockumentary.xyz/, I keep getting this error: “There has been an error. Action can’t be performed. Please contact your admin. Action error occurred: Page already exists at: ‘content/pages/index.md’.”

Here’s what I’ve tried so far:

1. Checked for Duplicate Pages:
  • Found and deleted a duplicate index.md in a different directory.
  • Did a new deploy on Netlify.
  1. Cleared Browser Cache:
  • Cleared the cache and forced a new deploy.
  1. Closed Concurrent File Access:
  • Made sure the file wasn’t open for editing on both GitHub and Netlify CMS at the same time.

Despite all this, I’m still seeing the same error and can’t modify the home page (content/pages/index.md) through the visual editor.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,
Mattia

@mattiamuravannuzzi Unfortunately there’s basically no Netlify CMS support here anymore.

Netlify CMS officially became Decap CMS in early 2023:

So the most applicable place for support is from them:

However there are other similar/breakaway projects that may interest you, or be more active, like:

Dear @nathanmartin
I discovered a way to solve the issue: after removing the duplicate page from the GitHub folder, I also had to do the same from the Content folder within the Visual Editor. It seems that the deleting from the original source didn’t erase the duplicate inside the Visual Editor. I could access in there having a deeper look on the right sidebar in the Visual creation suite. So, problem solved.

In any case, thank you for your patience and your infos about this change inside Netlify!

1 Like