Getting slow average TTFB of root HTML file

Since the beginning of this month the speed of the CDN for one of my websites has slowed down from ~200 ms to ~4000 ms on average. Measured from multiple locations in the world. Some times it it’s fast with sub 300 ms request, but a lot of times it goes above 5000ms. All other websites on my Netlify account perform nicely.

When the initial HTML document is loaded other files are loading fine. Some examples of 6000ms + requests from several locations:

x-nf-request-id: a9cf4fb4-eddf-4932-897e-cc42aa988b1c-13560889
x-nf-request-id: 9478329a-8cae-4eb6-8d9f-c0ea40921cfa-36195541
x-nf-request-id: 5f43655a-5c00-4da1-b72e-217f33f10aa1-2923924
x-nf-request-id: 2b02a146-999d-4884-9f03-f7b7ca8482b9-2744442
x-nf-request-id: 4ced974d-c5f5-48e7-a058-d2683fc9c009-3722638

Any idea what could have happend?

Anyone any idea? I also tried to set it up as a new website. Created a new site, connected it to my repo, deployed again, pointed my DNS to it and requested a new certificate. But still the slow TTFB’s…

Something odd I see when I look at your site - nearly all of those slow requests are your uptime checker, not real organic traffic.

Can you tell me more about how your monitor is requesting the site? It’s a very odd pattern another customer is seeing where ONLY his monitor shows slow responses.

I looked over the past 48h and 95+% of the slow requests to first byte is for the user agent of your monitor, rather than “real” web traffic and I am curious how you are fetching the page.

Thanks for looking into it fool. It is requesting the page serverside without any user-agent header. I could add those to debug it. The pages are fetched with CURL and the monitor analyses the response headers and body.

The first x-nf-request-id is from my own browser and it seems like my own Chrome browser has intervals of 6000+ ms requests every few hours. Now it is fine around 200ms but a few hours ago it was stuck at 6000+ for a while.

I’ll add the headers in the monitor and i’ll collect some more request ID’s from real traffic.

Thank you, please share your results once you have them.

Hi everyone, we have some great news :tada:

We have tested & rolled out a fix for these issues.

More information here:

Please feel free to discuss on that thread, I will close this one (and others) so to contain the conversation a bit more. Thank you all for your patience :pray: