Home
Support Forums

Getting error when attempting to add A Record

Hi, I am getting the exact same issue as this when I attempt to add an A record to Netlify DNS:

https://knapstad.dev/articles/AddingARecordsOnNetlify

My domain is ivanwhite.dev

I am attempting to add the A record in an attempt to fix this issue:

I am seeing Server: Netlify in the response errors, thus attempting the A record in the linked article in the post:

Please fix this on your end as per the first link above.

Thank you!

Hi, @grandslammer. We do have this documented here, quoting:

dns_api example.com- example.com 400 - link exists, all config must be empty
Are you seeing an error like this one?

dns_api 400 - link exists, all config must be empty

This happens when you try to create an A or AAAA type DNS record and there is a conflicting NETLIFY or NETLIFYv6 type record.

Before you can create the A or AAAA record, you must first delete NETLIFY or NETLIFYv6 record. Once the NETLIFY types are deleted the A or AAAA record can be created and no error will occur.

Note, it is the NETLIFY type record which points that name to Netlify. If you delete the NETLIFY (and NETLIFYv6) type records, it will take the site offline at Netlify.

However, in most cases you are creating the A record precisely to move domain to some other service. If so, deleting the NETLIFY type record is the correct step before making the A record.

If you get that 400 error, you must delete the NETLIFY record (for A records) or NETLIFYv6 record (for AAAA records) which is blocking the record you are trying to create.

Remember, if you delete a NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 record for a domain name, that name domain will no longer be served by Netlify. If that is what you intend, however, you are definitely able to delete the record if you want to.

Also, the article you linked to was correct in the past but some of the information there is now out of date. I’m specifically referring to this portion:

The solution is to contact support if you have a payed account, but if you are on the free teir as I am you need to make a post to the support forum. So just head over to the #admin part of the netlify comunity and open a new topic explaining that you want to unlock the speciall records.

Contacting our support team is no longer required. You can delete those records directly in the web UI yourself now and no special assistance is required.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

Hi Luke,
Thanks for your reply.

I am attempting this whole process to get rid of this error:

After performing the Dig in the troubleshooting link above, I was seeing that the server was pointing to Netlify - which then led me to attempting the A record solution in the last link.

I have just removed the Netlify records in Netlify DNS, and now I am seeing “Check DNS configuration” error (as well as still seeing the SSL certificate error above).

I have also reset the nameservers to the original ones at Hover, and added the A record to point to Netlify in Hover DNS.

Should this resolve the issue?

Hi, @grandslammer. Nothing you can do will ever remove that error. I manually removed it for you now.

For historical reasons, that page shows the last error that occurred, even if there have been successful renewals or provisioning since the error occurred.

The error can be safely ignored as it wasn’t a current error (and, again, I’ve manually deleted it now anyway).

1 Like