Home
Support Forums

Gatsby build succeeding, but content not updating

Hi, I’m having a weird issue with my Gatsby site at stevenorechow.me. Builds are succeeding but the updates to the site are not showing up (new content from a WordPress backend). I have tried “Clear cache and deploy site” several times. The site is successfully building and updating on my local machine, so I’m a bit confused why it isn’t here on Netlify. To be clear, the builds are succeeding, but the content remains the same as the previous build. Any thoughts, suggestions, docs on what I can do to fix this would be much appreciated! Thank you

Hi @stevenorechow

Are you seeing lines like this in your deploys to indicate new files deploying?

7:58:53 PM: Starting to deploy site from 'dist'
7:58:53 PM: Creating deploy tree 
7:58:54 PM: 13 new files to upload
7:58:54 PM: 0 new functions to upload
7:58:54 PM: Site deploy was successfully initiated

Or something like this which indicates there are no new files to upload?

6:35:41 PM: Starting to deploy site from 'site'
6:35:41 PM: Creating deploy tree 
6:35:41 PM: Creating deploy upload records
6:35:42 PM: 0 new files to upload
6:35:42 PM: 0 new functions to upload
6:35:42 PM: Site deploy was successfully initiated

If new files are uploaded, to eliminate cache, have you tried a different browser or private/incognito window?

Are you able to provide a screenshot of what you are seeing vs what you expect to see?

Thank you for your response! I’m unsure of how to troubleshoot, as I haven’t run into a problem like this before.

To answer the first part, it said this in the last deploy log:
7 new files to upload
0 new functions to upload

I have tried viewing the site in different browsers, devices, incognito. mode, browserstack etc. It’s definitely not a case of needing to clear the browser cache.

Here are screenshots of the About page of the website showing the differences:
Prod Site - Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 1.55.27 PM.png (Successful deploy, old content)
Local Site - Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 1.55.02 PM.png (Successful build, correct content)

Hi @stevenorechow,

What happens when you clear cache and deploy?

The build is successful but the content doesn’t update

Where does the content come from? Can you share the git repository?

As mentioned in the original post, the content is coming from a WordPress backend. I will ask my client about making the repository public. The odd thing is that the problem is only on Netlify. A local build does update. A Netlify build says it succeeds but does not update the content.

Hi All! I want to thank you for your responses. I can’t believe I missed this, but it turns out “Stop Auto Publishing” was turned on. Although now I’m pretty confused as to what that setting is for. I’m not sure if I turned it on or my client, but I would have assumed that setting was to only allow for manual deploys. Obviously not, because the manual deploys were building but not being updating. Anyways, the site has updated now! So we are all set.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know, @stevenorechow! I am glad everything is working now for you. :netliconfetti: