First byte time very slow

Hi,

I’ve deployed a new app built with Gatsby with caching enabled. When I access the website the loading time is extremely slow.
I’ve tested on another provider (Vercel and DO) and it’s very fast.

What could be the problem ?

Netlify proof

Vercel proof

DigitalOcean App proof

Thanks

@Inalex Welcome to the Netlify community. The problem may be due to the fact that your domain names are redacted, so others won’t be able to help you troubleshoot this.

1 Like

Yes sorry, there are the links:

Netlify: https://vibrant-pasteur-56df5e.netlify.app/
Vercel: https://alexandrelion-com.vercel.app/

Thanks

I’m just guessing here, but this might be due (at least in part) to the fact that your page size is approaching 5MB, so Netlify CDN may not be serving your files as expected.

Hey there,

In addition to @gregraven’s spot on observation (which you should definitely look to resolve), I’ll summarise how our CDN works which may explain some slow loads.

Fingerprinting your assets is not advisable when using our CDN. By fingerprinting your assets, it’s likely that file names for all of your assets change after every build, even if the file does not change. This means that the asset becomes uncached after each build. You can read more about how we identify file changes without needing file name hashes here.

In general, you may experience slow loads on our CDN, if a CDN node hasn’t cached the file before. In each region where we have a CDN presence, we have multiple nodes and they each have their own cache. If the node which responds to your request hasn’t cached the asset, the node must request the asset (uncompressed) from our west-coast US origin server. The asset is then sent uncompressed to the CDN node, compressed, then sent to the browser. This is a one-off longer load. Each node will preserve the asset until your site is re-deployed and the asset changes.

Thanks for your response, I’ll try to optimize my assets.

Thanks for your explanation @Pie :wink: