This appears to be a problem with Ubuntu. I just tested this repo on macOS and it built fine, but when I tested it with Ubuntu, I get the same error. Since it’s a fresh installation of Ubuntu with nothing connected to Netlify, I believe this error is not local to Netlify.
I think you need to reach out to one of the libraries (probably GraphQL or Gridsome) to ask them why this fails on Ubuntu.
Also, I’m unable to even start the development server where I could use the playground on Ubuntu because of the same error. I tried to remove the image field from the query, but then it complains about the title field.