Domain_aliases is owned by another account

Hi there,
I’m trying to add a domain alias so that I can use a different URL for Netlify site (https://manifold-lab.netlify.app/) and get the following error ‘domain_aliases is owned by another account’. Any help much appreciated,
James

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Thanks very much Hillary. Actually, it turns out a colleague of mine already has satsuma.cs.ucl.ac.uk as a domain alias on Netlify, but I want my URL to be manifold.cs.ucl.ac.uk. Is that possible?

Hey there, @james-cole :wave:

Thanks for following up. You can add a domain alias in your site settings under Domain management > Domains > Custom domains. Select Add domain alias, and follow the process for assigning a domain to your site.

To change a domain alias to the primary domain, select the Options button next to the domain, then select Set as primary domain.

Check out our docs to learn more!

Hi Hillary,

Unfortunately you’re instructions don’t work. When I put the new alias in I get this message “domain_aliases is owned by another account”. As mentioned, a colleague of mine is using the domain for a similar alias. They obviously don’t want to stop using the domain.

Is there anyway of us both using different subdomains of the same domain?

Thanks!

James

As far as I’m aware, this isn’t possible from different accounts.

Which makes sense when you think about it… you wouldn’t want others using Netlify to just randomly be capable of making subdomains for your site by virtue of you both hosting on Netlify.

A domain also can’t be associated with more than one account at a time.

Hi Nathan – that does make sense. So is the only for me to use this subdomain is to get my colleague to stop using the domain??

Only a Netlify representative could say with certainty, but it’s my understanding that only one of you can have the domain associated with your Netlify account at a time.

So another option would be for you to both use (or have access) to the same account, for you to be granted access as a collaborator etc.

(Note - If you’re on a free plan this may incur charges since Netlify charge “per seat”)

That, is true, yes. Or we can temporarily enable a feature flag, add the domain to your site, disable the feature flag.