Home
Support Forums

DNS support for custom domain bought from GoDaddy

Hi. This is regarding the domain costacodes.com

I’m unable to set up my custom domain bought from GoDaddy because there is an existing zone (for the domain costacodes.com

here is the error:
“name is already taken, costacodes.com is conflicting the ownership with other existing zones”

Hey there, @costacalvin

Welcome to the Netlify Forums! Thanks so much for reaching out.

I believe that this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Hi Hillary, thank you for helping me out.

I have added a DNS record to my GoDaddy Domain since I don’t know who else would have the domain on their account, as I recently purchased it yesterday. I added a TXT with a link to this post as a value, hope that works!

Hi @costacalvin

The domain has been removed from the other account, you should be able to use it now.

1 Like