DNS records on Netlify / external registered domain

Custom domain registered at 1&1 IONOS = simontorode.com
Netlify site = simontorode.netlify.app
Netlify App

Hi Netlify

A few weeks ago I set my custom domain to point to Netlify. DNS records copied across to Netlify. Nameservers at 1&1 updated. Not updated. Have I missed something?

Many thanks

Simon

@Solid-Hex Welcome to the Netlify community.

Is there something wrong? Your site loads for me, although there seems not to be much content … just your name and a footer.

When I visit simontorode.com I still see the old holding page hosted at 1&1. Would like this domain to point to netlify (different footer). Cheers

@gregraven when I copied the dns records to netlify, I didn’t make any changes to them. Should A and AAAA be changed to the Netlify IP addresses? Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

@Solid-Hex This is what I’m seeing:

Your DNS entries seem OK. Are you certain you aren’t experiencing a local caching issue? What happens when you visit your site using a private / incognito window? What does the thumbnail look like on GTMetrix?

1 Like

@gregraven thank you for confirming. I have checked geopeeker & geotargetly and they show the correct site. I will wait another 24/48 hours and then confirm when ok :+1:

Hi, @Solid-Hex. It is also possible that a service worker is to blame for the issue on the local system:

The current site doesn’t use a service worker but it is possible the previous version did. If there are other questions about this, the x-nf-request-id header for the incorrect pageload would be helpful.

There more information about this header here:

If that header isn’t available for any reason, please send the information it replaces (or as many of these details as possible). Those details are:

• the complete URL requested
  • the IP address for the system making the request
  • the IP address for the CDN node that responded
  • the day of the request
  • the time of the request
  • the timezone the time is in

If there are other questions of us, we will be happy to answer.

1 Like

Hi @luke thanks for the info. yes - service workers & x-nf-request-id are not present in my browser for the old php page on 1&1 server. For my latest chrome browser version 88.0.4324.104 Win10, the netlify page returns the following response header:

x-nf-request-id: b592cba2-5e93-4edb-a2da-1555ce693f1c-52886117

Many thanks

Hi, @Solid-Hex. I’m showing that request id served the “/index.html” file from the deploy id 6011fdcbb5198c00f3334b28. That deploy was published on 2021-01-27 at 23:58:09 UTC +00:00 and that is the current version of the site.

Have you downloaded that deploy to see what what it contains?

download-deploy-button-small

The contents of the /index.html file in that deploy will match what we are serving. Are you seeing something different, @Solid-Hex?

1 Like

Hi @luke & @gregraven

Thanks for the support. The issue resolved after exactly 1 week. I think the cause of the issue was that my ISP (BT Internet in the UK) caches web content & dns records for residential / home customers, particularly as we have lockdown for coronavirus here, so many more people are working from home. Some IT colleagues have had similar issues, so have switched to business accounts.

Many thanks

May the force be with you

Simon

Hi, @Solid-Hex. You can also change the resolvers for your DNS service to be a third-party resolver.

For example:

• 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 provided by Google (but please consider the privacy implications of that choice)
  • 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 by OpenDNS (once very privacy minded but, personally, I’m not as sure after their acquisition by Cisco - maybe they are still - dunno)
  • 1.1.1.1 provided by Cloudflare (no ideas about privacy and I have seen some strange caching issues with their DNS and our service - specifically people in Australia getting IP addresses for New York when Geoip fencing is done using DNS)

My point being, even with the downsides (like there are no privacy issues with our ISP’s DNS - am i right?) it can be a very good thing to use a third-party DNS service.

If you set these as the DNS server in a wifi router or home network hub, it also will usually automatically pass those settings along to all other devices that connect to the same network (in most, if not all, cases). This means, in most cases, you can change it once there and not bother with individual device settings (every phone, tablet, PC, etc. on the same network will just do what the router tells it to).

Can you tell I really enjoy DNS yet?

Don’t get me started on ISPs doing DNS hijacking (which really bothers me) causing customers to use tunnels to hide DNS from their ISP (with, for example, DNSCrypt). I could talk about DNS all day. :wink:

1 Like

@luke This is off-topic, but I used to run Codeweaver (and/or Wine) just so I could run Steve Gibson’s Benchmark.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

It took me forever to delete Google’s namebench from my system.

FWIW, I’ve finally settled on NextDNS, which has some controls (which I like about OpenDNS), but it seems to have overall better performance.

For those who want to experiment, you can also choose:

• Freenom
  • Hurricane Electric
  • Level3
  • NameCheap SafeServe
  • Quad9
  • Verisign

Or chose one of the many other public DNS services: