DNS records not propagating well

I am hosting two domains on Netlify:
https://montanarius.com/
https://martinfriedrichberger.net/

The former (but not the latter) is very unreliable in access. When I run a DNS Propagation Checker one propagates the A records fine (everything is green) the other does not (almost everything is red). If the records are propagated, they are correct. Configuration of both DNS is / seems to be the same / similar:

Here is a screenshot of the problem:

The effect of this is that half of the time I can go to montanarius.com, the other half it 404’s me,. What can I do about this?

It looks like on montanarius.com you have 2 different sets of NS records configured:

% dig NS montanarius.com


;; ANSWER SECTION:
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	NS	ns-cloud-d2.googledomains.com.
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	NS	ns-cloud-d1.googledomains.com.
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	NS	dns1.p03.nsone.net.
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	NS	dns2.p03.nsone.net.
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	NS	dns3.p03.nsone.net.
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	NS	dns4.p03.nsone.net.
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	NS	ns-cloud-d4.googledomains.com.
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	NS	ns-cloud-d3.googledomains.com.

If you’re interested in utilizing Netlify DNS, you’ll want to remove the other set of NS records. If you would like to use a different DNS provider, you’ll want to configure the records at that registrar.

Thanks, I have wondered about this, but I have exactly the same setup for my other domain:

% dig NS martinfriedrichberger.net

;; ANSWER SECTION:
martinfriedrichberger.net. 897	IN	NS	ns-cloud-a2.googledomains.com.
martinfriedrichberger.net. 897	IN	NS	dns2.p07.nsone.net.
martinfriedrichberger.net. 897	IN	NS	dns3.p07.nsone.net.
martinfriedrichberger.net. 897	IN	NS	ns-cloud-a1.googledomains.com.
martinfriedrichberger.net. 897	IN	NS	ns-cloud-a4.googledomains.com.
martinfriedrichberger.net. 897	IN	NS	dns4.p07.nsone.net.
martinfriedrichberger.net. 897	IN	NS	ns-cloud-a3.googledomains.com.
martinfriedrichberger.net. 897	IN	NS	dns1.p07.nsone.net.

And I’m not having problems there. Why?

Whatever the reason, you are suggesting that I remove all NS entries of the form googledomains.com for both domains from the Netlif DNS setup? I also have a CNAME record pointing to connect.domains.google.com in both. (I bought the domains from Google before they sold their domain name business to Squarespace.) They should also be removed, I take it?

Update: I’ve removed the NX records for googledomains.com on montanarius.com. (but not the CNAME to google). The many red X I mentioned above on DNS Propagation Checker - Global DNS Testing Tool have now disappeared, but I am still unable to reach https://montanarius.com/ on my home network. This may be due to DNS propagation speed, but I am not sure. My uptimerobot.com monitor for Montanarius also says Montanarius is down.

Speaking of CNAME record for both sites, when I do dig on both sites I get quite different responses:

% dig CNAME montanarius.com

;; ANSWER SECTION:
montanarius.com.	977	IN	CNAME	connect.domains.google.com.

[TBC in next reply since I’m limited in the number of URLs I can put in a reply]

% dig CNAME martinfriedrichberger.net

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
martinfriedrichberger.net. 900	IN	SOA	dns1.p07.nsone.net. domains+netlify.netlify.com. 1655065847 43200 7200 1209600 3600

Note also that I get CNAME for one but SOA for the other, when doing dig CNAME. Note also that one is an “ANSWER SECTION” while the other is an “AUTHORITY SECTION”. But when I look at both DNS entries in my Netlify panels, they look the same:

I am baffled …

I do notice however that the CNAME entry is on a www... prefix on the working site but on montanarius.com on the non-working site. Could that be relevant?

@m.berger

you are suggesting that I remove all NS entries of the form googledomains.com for both domains from the Netlif DNS setup?

Yes, you shouldn’t have 2 different sets of NS records configured for a single domain as a general rule.

when I do dig on both sites I get quite different responses

Your CNAME record is configured for your root domain montanarius.com:

% dig CNAME montanarius.com

;; ANSWER SECTION:
montanarius.com.	3600	IN	CNAME	connect.domains.google.com.

Your CNAME record for martinfriedrichberger.net is configured to point to www:

 %  dig CNAME www.martinfriedrichberger.net

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.martinfriedrichberger.net. 3600 IN	CNAME	connect.domains.google.com.

These records are not the same which is why you’re seeing different responses.

I have changed the DNS entries along the lines of your suggestions, and everything is working much better now.

Thanks!

1 Like