Home
Support Forums

DNS records have been added correctly but Netlify not recognizing them

Netlify site name:

Custom domain:

Hi,

My custom domain is not working from past two days (server not found).
Some users are able to access the website but for most, it says server unreachable / DNS records missing.

From my Netlify dashboard, I can see that Netlify warns “Check DNS configuration”, but my DNS nameservers are well set.

Google DNS Lookup returns the correct DNS records.
But others like MX Toolbox say that no DNS records found.

Please help! Downtime is a bad idea for a startup.

HI @BeyondExams

Welcome to the Netlify community.

MX Toolbox does show the name servers as does Google DNS Lookup. What none of the show is any A records.

When I visit beyondexams.org I see

quickly followed by

There is a SSL Certificate issued and in use on the site.

Part 1 / 3
On loading website: (on some it is loading fine, but in most devices, it is showing DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN)

Part 2/3
MX Toolbox: (DNS Record not found)

Part 3/3
On Netlify Dashboard: (It says that beyondexams.org is not served by Netlify even though all configs are correctly added)

A record is missing because website is hosted on Netlify. Netlify records have been added in the domain config:

Hi, @BeyondExams. There were A type DNS records for the apex domain and the www subdomain created in Netlify DNS.

When the custom domains were added to the site settings, this created the automatic NETLIFY (and NETLIFYv6) type DNS records which would normally handle the DNS routing of those domains names (the apex and www subdomain) to Netlify. However, existing A records block the creation of the NETLIFY type records on the backend DNS infrastructure.

To summarize, because there were already A records for those names when the NETLIFY type records were added the NETLIFY type records are not working.

I was able to fix this on our backend manually. The SSL is working as well (which was automatic).

If you run into this again, you can fix it yourself with the following steps:

1. Delete any non-working NETLIFY and NETLIFYv6 type records from the DNS zone at Netlify.
  2. Delete those same names from the site settings (under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains).
  3. Add the domain name back again (in the same place as step 2).

Once this is done, the newly created DNS records will work. Adding the delete records back to the site settings automatically creates them in the DNS zone at Netlify. If the A records (the records blocking the NETLIFY records) have been deleted, the new records will work when they are automatically created in step 3 above.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

2 Likes