DNS changed but getting ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

PLEASE help us help you by writing a good post!

*Site: https://plasticamurillo.netlify.com/

*Custom Domain: plasticamurillo.com

Hello, after migrating to a new registrar Im not able to reconfigure my netlify site. Removed the original one and started fresh, then changed the NS on the new hosting site to point to Netlify

All propagated but getting ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

Name Servers from Netlify are:

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks in advance!

Seems like the domain is still pointing to your registrar’s nameservers. You may want to double check that you have changed that to Netlify’s nameservers.

Also, be careful, make sure you are changing the nameservers at your registrar instead of adding NS records to your DNS provider.

1 Like

Hey @deck1187hw

The nameserver changes for plasticamurillo.com are still propagating, so in some cases NS will show Netlify, in other cases your registrar. This is evident on the DNS Checker link you posted.

DNS changes do take up to 48 Hours or according to NS1, even up to 72 hours. Usually propagation happens within an hour or so.

1 Like

Thanks for your help @coelmay and @hartanto I think the website starts working now so it was indeed a propagation issue

I would advise you to be careful here.

If you check the whois record for your domain at ICANN Lookup, you will see that the nameservers are still pointing to your registrar.

What you seems to have done, is add NS records on your registrar’s DNS system.

The top result is the NS record currently stored by the .com registry, and the bottom is the NS record stored by the nameservers on the .com registry (i.e. IONOS UI-DNS nameservers). As you can see there’s a mismatch there.

This will result in an unexpected behavior. Some DNS resolver will resolve your domain successfully using Netlify DNS (the NS1 nameservers), while other will query the nameserver listed on the registry nameservers (the IONOS UI-DNS nameservers).

Therefore, your domain will only work for some people. See: DNS Checker - DNS Check Propagation Tool

I would advise you to check your IONOS portal (or where you buy the domain) and edit your nameservers there.

1 Like

This is great suggestion, giving it a try

Great hade same error and sort it out

1 Like

Ok I contacted IONOS and they said everything is done on their side. If you see the DNS

Everything has been propagated already… However ICANN Lookup
still shows the old ones… Should I contact Icann automatically, it has been a few days already. That is weird.

ICANN would just direct you back to IONOS.

If you check the A record propagation not everything is propagated: DNS Propagation Checker - Global DNS Testing Tool

Mainly, Google DNS, OpenDNS and Cloudflare DNS wouldn’t resolve your domain.

So DNS form a chain. When someone wants to find out what IP addresses plasticamurillo.com resolved to, it will first go to the root servers, which will then direct the request to the .com nameservers.

In this case, the .com nameservers would direct user to the IONOS’ nameservers, which have no knowledge of any A record for your domain. Thus, some user will get ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED.

What you want to do is set it so that the Netlify’s nameservers are used instead of IONOS’.

Hi @deck1187hw

I see plasticamurillo.com is in Netlify DNS but isn’t loading. Have you added it as a custom domain to your Netlify site?

1 Like

Hi @coelmay Yes all added and re-added after see screenshot. Something is missing but not really know what to do now, IONOS (the domain registrar) is sending me to netlify…

There is still an issue with the Nameservers you have configured with the registrar. They aren’t pointing to Netlify

% whois plasticamurillo.com | grep -i nameserver
Nameserver: ns1092.ui-dns.biz
Nameserver: ns1059.ui-dns.org
Nameserver: ns1125.ui-dns.de
Nameserver: ns1031.ui-dns.com

Have you changed the nameservers in your IONOS Dashboard as per these instructions?

If you have done this (I don’t have an IONOS account to reference) I suggest you contact IONOS Support as the issue is not with Netlify, but them.

Thanks, yeah IONOS said its not their problem as when they do:

dig @8.8.8.8 plasticamurillo.com NS

they get the correct configured ones:

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;plasticamurillo.com.		IN	NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
plasticamurillo.com.	21600	IN	NS	dns4.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	21600	IN	NS	dns3.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	21600	IN	NS	dns2.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	21600	IN	NS	dns1.p04.nsone.net.

;; Query time: 69 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 13 15:45:32 BST 2022
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 137

Not sure what else to do :frowning:

Yes, this is what I see. Whois data, as I previously posted, shows different information.

Have a read over [Support Guide] How to detect and fix inactive Netlify DNS zones

When I test using dig ... +trace ... as specified in that guide I see.

% dig plasticamurillo.com NS +trace | tail -6
plasticamurillo.com.	86400	IN	NS	dns1.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	86400	IN	NS	dns2.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	86400	IN	NS	dns3.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	86400	IN	NS	dns4.p04.nsone.net.
;; Received 137 bytes from 2001:8d8:fe:53:0:d9a0:533b:100#53(ns1059.ui-dns.org) in 315 ms

So, based on that guide, the registrar’s nameservers answered my request, NOT Netlify’s.

1 Like

Many thanks all for your help. At the end I contacted IONOS one more time and they refreshed the DNS on their side, now NS seems to be correct and website up and running.

dig plasticamurillo.com NS +trace | tail -6
plasticamurillo.com.	3600	IN	NS	dns1.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	3600	IN	NS	dns2.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	3600	IN	NS	dns3.p04.nsone.net.
plasticamurillo.com.	3600	IN	NS	dns4.p04.nsone.net.
;; Received 137 bytes from 198.51.44.68#53(dns3.p04.nsone.net) in 57 ms
1 Like

Great to hear @deck1187hw. Can confirm plasticamurillo.com is accessible to me! :+1: