Home
Support Forums

DNS address could not be found

I have my personal web site at rogerjbos.com and I have a few prefix sites like crypto.rogerjbos.com and acala.rogerjbos.com. They all worked great until recently, but now the main site does not work, I get this error message:

DNS address could not be found.

The others (with the prefix) still work fine. The netlify name for the main site is:

frosty-ptolemy-2cec8e.netlify.app

www.rogerjbos.com does pull up a site, but it doesn’t look correct. It doesn’t have any theme formatting. A week ago the site looked fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @rogerjbos

rogerjbos.com doesn’t work as there is no A record pointing it to Netlify. There is a CNAME record for www.rogerjbos.com which is why it is accessible.

The www version of the site doesn’t look like it should because links use the apex e.g.

<script src="https://rogerjbos.com/js/jquery-1.11.3.min.js"></script>

Thanks @coelmay for your quick response. I found the Netlify static IP and added it as an A record. I know I had an A record at one time. It works now.

I also added the www. to my baseurl so the links will include it. Thanks again for looking into my problem and the good information.

Apologies, I should have shared that information with you.

As long as the apex domain rogerjbos.com is still configured as a custom domain on your site.

Rather the hard-coding rogerjbos.com or www.rogerjbos.com for links/srces/etc., a better option (I believe) is to make them relative to the domain. So taking the <script> previous mentioned turn it into

<script src="/js/jquery-1.11.3.min.js"></script>

This way it doesn’t matter which domain someone accesses they will load relative to that domain.

For resources like jQuery, Font Awesome, etc. you could switch to an CDN link too.