DNS a records fail?

PLEASE help us help you by writing a good post!

• we need to know your netlify site name. Example: gifted-antelope-58b104.netlify.app
  • DNS issues? Tell us the custom domain, tell us the error message! We can’t help if we don’t know your domain.
  • Build problems? Link or paste the FULL build log & build settings screenshot

The better the post - the faster the answer.

I’ve been recently working on a company’s website. I changed they’re site and updated it. So I went to keep there old domain name from there other provider and so he had to change his name servers yada yada, well his company stopped getting emails yesterday and he called me. But when I try to add his old records from G suites, i get this message ( dns_api satillabm.com - satillabm.com/A: 400 - link exists, all config must be empty )

Hiya @chickentatorz48 and welcome to our community! Your configuration is a bit confusing, so let’s talk through what I can see and how you can repair it.

You do NOT use our DNS hosting, but you do have it configured. You seem to have it set up at Godaddy:

$ whois satillabm.com
   Domain Name: SATILLABM.COM
   Registry Domain ID: 2227111364_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
   Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
   Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
  [...]
   Name Server: NS43.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
   Name Server: NS44.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

If that is your intention to leave it at Godaddy, which will not impact your ability to achieve your stated goals - whether that is hosting here or at a different webhost, then it is safe to delete your DNS zone, here: https://app.netlify.com/teams/chickentatorz48/dns/satillabm.com#delete-dns-zone

Here’s an article about how to optimally configure your website for us to host WITHOUT using our DNS: https://www.netlify.com/blog/2020/03/26/how-to-set-up-netlify-dns-custom-domains-cname-a-records/ - this way you can keep the settings you already have in place at Godaddy and change them without help from us :slight_smile:

If you don’t intend to host any websites here for satillabm.com - then you ALSO shouldn’t use our DNS hosting; we intend our DNS hosting ONLY for domains we host a website for.

Assuming you DO want to host here and you DO intend to migrate from godaddy by changing the nameservers to the ones listed here: https://app.netlify.com/teams/chickentatorz48/dns/satillabm.com#nameservers …then you STILL don’t need our help :slight_smile: - the records for satillabm.com and www.satillabm.com are already correctly pointing to Netlify and do not need editing.

So I guess what we’d want to know from you is what record you are trying to edit to what value, since:

• yes, you can’t edit satillabm.com and www.satillabm.com
  • yes, you don’t need to to host here
  • and if you aren’t hosting here, you should keep using godaddy’s DNS so still no help needed.

If you have some other situation I can’t understand, more details will help us help you sort things out :slight_smile:

Really what I was trying to say is satillabm.com was already registered on a godaddy domain, well this guy asked me to build a site for his company(well, I did on netlify. As that’s the only hosting I use). While building his site I used a different domain that belonged to me (nowpig.com), until I finished his site in which he would then want his original domain name from godaddy which is satillabm.com. Well I told him I’d try to use it on netlify and I did, it worked. A couple hours later he contacted me and said none of his companies emails were not coming in nor going out (he uses something called “g suites”). I don’t know if it was because we didn’t add Mx records or cname at the time. so he’s pointed the nameservers back to godaddy until we find a solution.

Hi, @chickentatorz48. Below is a support guide which covers migrating an existing DNS zone to Netlify:

To summarize, there are likely several MX and TXT type DNS records which already exist for this custom domain. For example, this is what I see currently:

satillabm.com.		3599	IN	MX	1 aspmx.l.google.com.
satillabm.com.		3599	IN	MX	10 aspmx2.googlemail.com.
satillabm.com.		3599	IN	MX	10 aspmx3.googlemail.com.
satillabm.com.		3599	IN	MX	5 alt1.aspmx.l.google.com.
satillabm.com.		3599	IN	MX	5 alt2.aspmx.l.google.com.
satillabm.com.		3599	IN	TXT	"google-site-verification=cW2M0xZYwJ82UaNgWNatOsvjfC7Qhls_NHaKkWGdcBo"
satillabm.com.		3599	IN	TXT	"v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ?all"

All of those DNS records (and possibly others) should be copied to Netlify DNS before changing the name servers to activate our DNS service.

If there are other questions, please let us know.