Deploy stalls when no build command found

SITE: https://don-white-portfolio.netlify.app

This site has been live for several days. Tonight I pushed to github and the site did not redeploy. It looks like the bot gets hung up on the build command. The site does not have a build file. Below is the log. I canceled the build and tried a couple more times. No luck. I’m a new developer so I could really use some help please.

Thank you

7:59:51 PM: Build ready to start

7:59:53 PM: build-image version: b0258b965567defc4a2d7e2f2dec2e00c8f73ad6

7:59:53 PM: build-image tag: v3.4.1

7:59:53 PM: buildbot version: 0e3cc7aef5c33f731b54ed4b65d515eaab821679

7:59:53 PM: Building without cache

7:59:53 PM: Starting to prepare the repo for build

7:59:53 PM: No cached dependencies found. Cloning fresh repo

7:59:53 PM: git clone https://github.com/donnywarren/don-white-portfolio

7:59:55 PM: Preparing Git Reference refs/heads/master

7:59:56 PM: No build command found, continuing to publishing

7:59:57 PM: Finished processing build request in 4.412277585s

You can try going to the deploy settings and manually set the build options there. However, I saw that you’re just using a static website, i.e. nothing to build like in case of SSGs, etc. So, you can just build locally and manually upload your build folder to Netlify.

Hi hrishikesh, thanks! I’ll try that today. Do you know any tutorials that cover deployment in general way?

I’m afraid, I don’t know any specific tutorials. But, there are a lot of blog posts and documentations that cover this information in large number of ways. A quick Google Search would help you a lot.

@donnywarren, there was an issue with sites without any build command (like this site) not deploying which has been resolved now.

If you still see builds without a build command not completing, please let us know.

About deploying directly from the local system (instead of a git push triggering a build), the most common way to do that is with the Netlify CLI tool and manual deploys.

Remember that you need the “--prod” option to actually update the production version of the site. Deploys with out that option will get a deploy preview URL but will need to be published manually if “--prod” is not used.

There is a built-in help command with the CLI tool as well:

$ netlify help deploy
Create a new deploy from the contents of a folder

USAGE
  $ netlify deploy

OPTIONS
  -a, --auth=auth            Netlify auth token to deploy with
  -b, --branch=branch        Serves the same functionality as --alias. Deprecated and will be removed in future versions
  -d, --dir=dir              Specify a folder to deploy
  -f, --functions=functions  Specify a functions folder to deploy
  -m, --message=message      A short message to include in the deploy log
  -o, --open                 Open site after deploy
  -p, --prod                 Deploy to production
  -s, --site=site            A site ID to deploy to
  --alias=alias              Specifies the alias for deployment. Useful for creating predictable deployment URL's
  --json                     Output deployment data as JSON
  --timeout=timeout          Timeout to wait for deployment to finish
  --trigger                  Trigger a new build of your site on Netlify without uploading local files

DESCRIPTION
  Deploys from the build settings found in the netlify.toml file, or settings from the API.

The following environment variables can be used to override configuration file lookups and prompts:

- `NETLIFY_AUTH_TOKEN` - an access token to use when authenticating commands. Keep this value private.
  - `NETLIFY_SITE_ID` - override any linked site in the current working directory.