Custom domain release from a deleted account

Hi,

Having trouble adding a custom domain (sambapos.az) to the site with “custom_domain is owned by another account” error. After reading some other support tickets, the domain might be still attached to the long before deleted account.

Thanks.

“for Netlify via Community 30390” record has been added to the dns.

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/netlify.sambapos.az

@renat.majidov Welcome to the Netlify community.

We’re going to need more information to help you. What is your Netlify subdomain? What are your settings in Cloudflare? Why not delete that TXT record?

The main domain is currently pointed to the festive-cori-3ddc80.netlify.app, but can’t be added to the domains for that site because of the mentioned error. CF side is all ok, not my first site. That txt record with “30390” is there to readily verify my ownership of the domain, as such record with ticket id have been asked in similar cases.

@renat.majidov Actually, it seems to be your www subdomain that is pointed at your Netlify subdomain via a CNAME entry, which is correct. You need to add an A record for your apex domain that points at the Netlify load balance IP address: 104.198.14.52

Finally, you say the Cloudflare side is OK, but it appears that you have Cloudflare protection turned on, which doesn’t work with Netlify. You need the gray cloud for anything pointing at Netlify, not the orange cloud.

Nope, root & www point to the netlify with a cname as with other sites. That ip method is a fallback for the dns providers that don’t support the cname record for the root, which is not the case for the cf. Also, the cloud is actually gray (dns only) for those records. Anyway, I can’t see what netlify telling me “custom_domain is owned by another account” on the service could have anything to do with cf :slight_smile: That domain was used with another account in late 2019 and then the site & account got deleted. Now, I would be thankful for the release of that domain, which is possibly still stuck to that deleted account)

@renat.majidov OK. I just figured that because your site says the server is Cloudflare (instead of Netlify) and you have an inactive DNS zone that you had other issues.

Current response headers with a 404 include “server: Netlify” for me, dunno how you got the cf) But yeah, sadly not a thing that I can fix myself. Just need someone from netlify to release it, as it was done with some other tickets.

|================== check for inactive DNS zone =================
| --------------- last line should show nsone.net ---------------
;; Received 337 bytes from 147.28.0.39#53(rip.psg.com) in 45 ms

sambapos.az.		86400	IN	NS	brett.ns.cloudflare.com.
sambapos.az.		86400	IN	NS	june.ns.cloudflare.com.
;; Received 96 bytes from 173.245.58.176#53(june.ns.cloudflare.com) in 17 ms

|================================================================

Hi, @renat.majidov. Thank you for making the verification DNS record. I’ve delete the old DNS zone at Netlify which means you should be able to add it to your site settings now (under Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains).

Beside that, you DNS configuration - include Cloudflare settings, appear to be correct when I checked them. Once you add the custom domain to the site, the SSL should start working in 5 minutes or less. If it doesn’t, try the “Verify DNS” button on the same page as the site settings for the custom domain.

If you still have issues adding the custom domain or if, after adding it to the site settings, the SSL doesn’t start working in 5 minutes or less, please let us know.

Yep, those are the NS records. I thought you have seen server:cf in the headers)

All working now. Yes, very much aware of the cert issuance issues with the orange proxy) Thanks a lot.

1 Like