Home
Support Forums

Custom domain, netlify DNS - apex domain doesn't work

Netlify site: scales-web.netlify.app
Custom domain: scale-lookup.com

Hi,

I’m using netlify DNS, and have set the nameservers in godaddy to point to the netlify ones.

www.scale-lookup.com works fine, but links to the apex domain do not, giving error DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. (It does work when I type it in to my browser - but perhaps that’s just my browser ‘filling in the blanks’?)

In the Domain Management section (in netlify) it shows a warning against the apex domain (image attached). Clicking the warning shows me an instruction to set the nameservers at godaddy, but I already have.

I’ve tried reading various docs, but no luck… I guess I’m missing something?

Many thanks!!
Angus

Hi there! We’ve created this DNS Quickstart guide for this very purpose - to get you up and running as quickly as possible.

Please take a look - we have many resources listed at the bottom, too. And, there are tons of DNS questions you can access through our search! If your problem still persists after reading through all relevant guides, please post again and we will troubleshoot with you.

Hi Perry, many thanks for your prompt response.

Thanks for the link - in fact I’d already read that one and I have already set up the nameservers at godaddy with half success - i.e. www.mydomain.com works but mydomain.com doesn’t.

I did go through the list of other articles and community posts and read anything which looked promising but in fact found no information relevant to my issue, apart from this post where the user had the same issue as me. In that case, Luke, the support engineer replied that that was an error on Netlify’s side, but with no further detail.

So anyway, yes please I would really appreciate some more help. :slight_smile:

Hi, @toranpetto. There was an issue on our side and I’ve correct that now. Both the apex and www subdomains are working now when I test.

The issue occurs when there is a record created in Netlify DNS but the corresponding DNS record at the upstream provider isn’t created. I can correct these using a manual process.

The workaround would be to delete the NETLIFY type record which isn’t working from Netlify DNS. Then, remove the custom domain from the site settings (Site Name > Settings > Domain management > Custom domains). Finally, add the custom domain back to the site settings again which will recreate the missing NETLIFY type record and sync it with the upstream DNS service.

There is an open issue for the desync issue and in the meantime either our support team or the workaround above can be used for correct the error when it occurs.

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

1 Like

Hi @luke - many thanks for resolving this!