Custom_domain is owned by the other account

Hello,

I have the same problem.
My Netlify URL is https://ercrework.netlify.app/
And I want to add this DNS https://erc.cuhk.edu.hk

Could you help me as well?
Thank you and Happy New Year!

Hey @econrc,
In cases like this where you and potentially other customers of ours control subdomains of the same root domain (cuhk.edu.hk), we’d ask that you host your DNS elsewhere and point to your Netlify sites from there. Our DNS hosting can reserve zones for an entire domain, but is not granular enough to reserve subdomains only.

To point to us from your DNS host, you’ll create a CNAME record from your subdomain (or any sub-subdomains) to your Netlify site. We’re happy to help if you run into any issues.

Hi @jen
I joined the Netliffe service for the first time and wanted to add it to use my domain devel.ooo
The message custom_domain is owned by another account appears. I think someone else registered wrong, so please solve it.

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Hello All, @jen & @luke
I need a help ASAP here please!! As I have the similar problem

I have a domain called acr-egypt.com and I want to delete it from my record but I don’t see the "Delete DNS zone” button at all in my Netlify site.
Please help remove it!!

Hi, @OMAS123. It cannot be deleted because is a domain registered via Netlify. I believe we are working on this in the helpdesk. However, the helpdesk ticket wasn’t using the correct email address.

Please create a new helpdesk ticket with the email address for the team owner where the domain was registered and, once that is done, we can transfer the domain to the other team as mentioned on the current helpdesk ticket.

Hey! I’m having the same issue with joalheriaveiga.netlify.app . I had previously used the domain joalheriaveiga.com.br in this same site, removed it and now am trying to put it back in the same site and same account but it returns “custom_domain is owned by another account”. Can you guys help me?

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Hi @jen
I joined the Netliffe service for the first time and wanted to add it to use my domain [fuki.cs.ui.ac.id]
The message custom_domain is owned by another account appears. I think someone else registered with Netlify DNS named ui.ac.id, so please solve it.

Hi @fuki.itf :wave:

Welcome to the Netlify Forums :netliconfetti: Thanks for reaching out about this.

I am going to echo what Perry shared above in this thread. This is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

Hi @hillary I have the same problem, now I can’t use any kitabisa.xyz subdomain for our custom domain, and I have no idea who is using our domain. can you help me?

Hi @kitabisa-engineer,

That domain is connected to an account not owned by you. If you could verify the ownership of the domain as explained above, we can unlink it for you.

I’ve added a verification domain as you mentioned above: verified-for-netlify.kitabisa.xyz

Hi @kitabisa-engineer,

Thank you for that. I’ve removed the DNS zone and the domain from other account, you should be able to use it in your account now.

Hi @hrishikesh,

I just checked all of our domains are experiencing the same issue: kitabisa.com, kitabisa.us. can you tell me about the user who owns it?

.us is being hosted in the same account as before. I thought it might indeed be attacked or something as that’s what the homepage of the previous website showed. This is the only website in that account: https://gallant-shirley-e25934.netlify.app/. I’ve removed this domain as well.

.com was connected to another account that’s not using the domain at all, so I’ve removed it from there.

thanks a lot @hrishikesh

1 Like

Hi!

I’m having the same issue with the last of our sites in our team, all other sites already have an alias set.
Could you please remove smartpricing.it from DNS Zones?
I will use this post to verify domain ownership.

Thank you!

Hi @bepi_roggiuza :wave: , I’ve removed the DNS zone for smartpricing.it from the other account. You should be able to add the domain to your site now. Let us know if that’s not the case!

1 Like

hi @audrey or @hrishikesh
Is Netlify aware about this bug Subdomain Takeover worth 200$. Hi! My name is Ali and i am security… | by Ali Razzaq | Medium?