Custom_domain is owned by the other account

Hi, I gave my domain name to my friend because he needed it then when he deleted the domain name from his account and I tried to use it said custom_domain is owned by another account even though he already removed it. @jen @luke please check this out/

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

https://app.netlify.com/sites/SITE-NAME/settings/domain#custom-domains > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

@luke I already did and he removed it and showed me with proof of that he already removed. Even after he removed it i still cannot use it.

hi @NutanPanta, can you go through the verification steps outlined aboce?

It seems there is no way for verifying for .com.np with .txt or any way. If it helps i can sends you photos of me owning the domain.

Hi, @NutanPanta, the only way we will remove the domain is if the verification DNS record is created as described here:

There is no other verification process.

About your friend’s account, I believe the issue is that they only deleted the domain name from the site. However, they still have an inactive Netlify DNS zone for it. They can see that at the URL below (when they are logged into their Netlify account):

https://app.netlify.com/account/dns/

There is a “Delete Zone” button at the bottom of the details page for each domain name. If they delete it there, that would also allow you to add it to your account.

If there are other questions, please let us know.

Thank you. The problem was I did not know it had to be removed from https://app.netlify.com/account/dns/. After he removed from there I could add it to my account. Thank you for your assistance.

1 Like

Hi, I’m the owner of the domain “ethereum.cn”. And I have met the same problem of " Custom_domain is owned by the other account"
Could you please verify the txt record, and let me know if you’ve done the verification.

Would you mind deal with the problem in hurry?

Hey @stevewu,
Thanks for verifying! We’ve removed the DNS zone from the other site so you should now be able to use it on yours. Please let us know if you run into any issues.

1 Like

thanks, it works right now

Hello,

I have the same problem.
My Netlify URL is https://ercrework.netlify.app/
And I want to add this DNS https://erc.cuhk.edu.hk

Could you help me as well?
Thank you and Happy New Year!

Hey @econrc,
In cases like this where you and potentially other customers of ours control subdomains of the same root domain (cuhk.edu.hk), we’d ask that you host your DNS elsewhere and point to your Netlify sites from there. Our DNS hosting can reserve zones for an entire domain, but is not granular enough to reserve subdomains only.

To point to us from your DNS host, you’ll create a CNAME record from your subdomain (or any sub-subdomains) to your Netlify site. We’re happy to help if you run into any issues.

Hi @jen
I joined the Netliffe service for the first time and wanted to add it to use my domain devel.ooo
The message custom_domain is owned by another account appears. I think someone else registered wrong, so please solve it.

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Hello All, @jen & @luke
I need a help ASAP here please!! As I have the similar problem

I have a domain called acr-egypt.com and I want to delete it from my record but I don’t see the "Delete DNS zone” button at all in my Netlify site.
Please help remove it!!

Hi, @OMAS123. It cannot be deleted because is a domain registered via Netlify. I believe we are working on this in the helpdesk. However, the helpdesk ticket wasn’t using the correct email address.

Please create a new helpdesk ticket with the email address for the team owner where the domain was registered and, once that is done, we can transfer the domain to the other team as mentioned on the current helpdesk ticket.

Hey! I’m having the same issue with joalheriaveiga.netlify.app . I had previously used the domain joalheriaveiga.com.br in this same site, removed it and now am trying to put it back in the same site and same account but it returns “custom_domain is owned by another account”. Can you guys help me?

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

Hi @jen
I joined the Netliffe service for the first time and wanted to add it to use my domain [fuki.cs.ui.ac.id]
The message custom_domain is owned by another account appears. I think someone else registered with Netlify DNS named ui.ac.id, so please solve it.