Home
Support Forums

Custom_domain is owned by another account when adding subdomain

Hello! I am trying to move a custom subdomain to another build (on the same account). I deleted the custom domain on the old build/site and tried to add it on the new one, but I get this error: custom_domain is owned by another account

The new site is 1e9-conference-2021.netlify.app, the custom subdomain is: conference.1e9.community

I’m not sure if the domain was not properly deleted from the old site or if any other account is interfering. Any advise on what to do would be great. Thank you!

Hey there, this is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

Hi Perry, thanks a lot!
The problem was indeed another account using the same domain and we solved it by moving the site to this account.