Custom domain - A DNS zone already exists on NS1

Hi! I get an error message while trying to register a custom domain through your service: “A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1” error trying to create DNS zone “www.andre-wibbeke.com

What can I do to remedy this issue?

Hi, @andreWi, and welcome to the Netlify community site.

NS1 is a DNS SaaS company. We use NS1 (https://ns1.com/) for DNS services at Netlify.

The reason for this error (“A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1”) is because some other company has already configured a DNS zone for this domain at NS1. Because it already exists, Netlify cannot create a new one.

We are not the only company that builds our services using NS1 as a component. For example, if I am not mistaken, Squarespace also uses NS1. If you configured this domain at Squarespace (or similar service) that will prevent us from doing the same.

There are two solutions for this.

The first solution for this will be to discover which other service you have used this domain with. Then contact that service to have them remove the configuration for this domain at NS1. That is the only solution which allows for using our Managed DNS for this domain name.

NS1 shouldn’t (and won’t) tell us who the other company is that already configured this domain with their service. This means you will need to determine which other services you have used for DNS service for this domain and contact that company to get this removed.

There is another solution. Instead of using our Managed DNS, you can also use manual configuration for the custom domain at Netlify.

You might also use manual configuration in the interim while you work with the other company to remove the DNS configuration they already have at NS1.

If there are other questions about this, please let us know.

1 Like

Hello,

I have the same problem with my domain, “frle.net”. I bought it on Namecheap and soon after started using it on Netlify to host an app. I cannot setup Netlify DNS and I get the same error.

The only service that could have possibly created that DNS zone is Namecheap, whose support I contacted and they have no idea what I am talking about and are constantly asking me to fetch the names of nameservers from Netlify which is not an issue and also cannot be done before I can successfully add a custom domain to Netlify.

What can I do? If Namecheap cannot remove the DNS zone nor Netlify, I don’t see how to proceed forward.

Hi there, sorry to hear you are having some domain woes :frowning: Give this guide a read through, hopefully it will solve your problem. Let us know if it doesn’t.

I’ve already read through this guide and I cannot follow it since I didn’t buy my domain on name.com but on namecheap.com.

I already tried doing a similar thing on my Namecheap dashboard but there is no such feature there to delete DNS zones. Actually, there is if you have the cPanel available, for which to get access to, you need to host a website there I believe? In any case, I don’t have a cPanel available there so this is not an option.

Hi, @frle10. There was DNS zone at NS1 which actually did exist under our Netlify account there. I’ve deleted that DNS zone and you should be able to create a new DNS zone with Netlify DNS now.

If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

1 Like

Hi, I’ve got the same problem except my domain registrar is google. I’ve manually updated the DNS and that was over 36 hours ago so I’m at a loss as to whats happening as the domain just never resolves.

Here is is how the domain is configured (PS you will need to click on the image):

I have a domain registered with namecheap and the manual DNS config for netlify and it’s working OK.

Heres the results of the dig command
; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> astrology.guide @ns-cloud-d1.googledomains.com
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43279
;; flags: qr aa rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;astrology.guide.               IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
astrology.guide.        300     IN      SOA     ns-cloud-d1.googledomains.com. cloud-dns-hostmaster.google.com. 7 21600 3600 259200 300

;; Query time: 160 msec
;; SERVER: 216.239.32.109#53(216.239.32.109)
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 22 11:12:03 AEST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 137

; <<>> DiG 9.16.1-Ubuntu <<>> astrology.guide @dns1.p01.nsone.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: REFUSED, id: 14062
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;astrology.guide.               IN      A

;; Query time: 112 msec
;; SERVER: 198.51.44.1#53(198.51.44.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Sep 22 11:12:13 AEST 2020
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 44

Hi, @LaughingBubba, there is no DNS zone at Netlify for this custom domain. You can see which DNS zone do exist here (when logged in):

I did double check and if there is a DNS zone at NS1 blocking this custom domain (astrology.guide), it isn’t one under our account so we (Netlify) cannot delete it.

You will need to contact either NS1 directly or contact other web/DNS hosting services where you have used this custom domain before to ask them to delete the DNS zone at NS1. We cannot delete it because we didn’t create it.

If there are other questions, please let us know.

Thank you very much @luke! I successfully added my domain to Netlify now and set up Netlify DNS. :slight_smile:

Thanks @luke. I’ve got a reference now so will followup with the suggested parties.

I got on to google support. 2 things:

1. I reset the nameservers to the google default
  2. The A records had the domain names instead of @ in the names/host section (which points the Netlify gateway)

the domain now works and the custom domain section of Netlify config is looking peachy and just waiting for dns propogation before SSL cert provisioning.

Hi, @LaughingBubba, I do see the SSL certificate working and that the site is being served by Netlify now. If there are other questions or concerns, please let us know.

Hey @luke, I am having the same issue. When I add the domain www.seandaniel.dev, I am told a DNS already exits. I am using a domain from hover and currently have another domain with this company that is live through Netlify. Thanks.

Hi, @grootsy. This time it looks like an error on our side. There is nothing for you to do and I’ve removed the “phantom” DNS zone on our side.

In other words, it should be fixed now! :+1:

Would you please try creating the DNS zone again and if it still doesn’t work, please let us know.

It works, Thank you Luke!

1 Like

Hi @luke, Im having the same issue with https://www.michallanda.com/ . Domain bought on https://www.forpsi.com/, used with Vercel in the past. Both companies confirmed they do not use NS1. Not sure what to do now. I hope there is another “phantom” on your side:)

Hi, @Jiri. That is exactly what it was and it should be working now. If not, please reply anytime.

1 Like

I am trying to setup a new domain (tacosandtequilarestaurant.com) for a customer that was purchased through Name.com. I followed the process outlined above to delete the DNS zone through Name.com around 11am CST on Sunday 11/8. I assumed it would be clear by now, but when I try to add the domain to Netlify DNS, I am still getting the “A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1” error message. I am not sure what else to do at this point. Any suggestions?

Hi, @philbriceno. I can confirm that the NS1 zone isn’t under our (Netlify’s) account.

We cannot delete someone else’s zone at NS1 so I would recommend contacting the Name.com support team about this issue.

Also, in the meantime, you can still connect a domain name to Netlify using the external DNS instructions. That would get the site working for the custom domain now while waiting for the issue with the DNS zone at NS1 to be resolved.

If there are other questions, we are happy to answer.

I have the same problem with my domain. I’ve moved from digital ocean to netlify and I’ve received the same error: A DNS zone for this domain already exists on NS1 . But I never used NS1 service.