Home
Support Forums

Custom DNS error

I’m trying to add a custom domain, and I have a feeling it’s been used as a test by another account somewhere. The domain is [edited by moderator as not suitable for youth]. When I try to add it, I get the message: “custom_domain is owned by another account”. I’ll be able to verify with DNS records, I just can’t get past this point.

Hey @BKComputing,

This is happening because the custom domain you’re trying to use already exists on Netlify under a different account.

If you have some idea of who might be using the domain (maybe a previous collaborator or an agency you’ve worked with in the past?), the quickest way to get this resolved is for you to contact that person directly and ask them to remove the domain from their account here:

Netlify App > “Options” dropdown > “Remove domain”

If you’re not sure, please verify domain ownership and let us know by responding here when that’s done. If the verification is successful we can remove the domain from the other account so you can use it on yours.

2 Likes

hey @BKComputing - we can definitely help you out here as hillary indicated, but do please be aware that everything you post in this forum, including links, need to be suitable for youth as per our code of conduct. More details in this thread here:

if you need to talk to us abou 18+ content, please obscure your URLs, and if that isn’t possible, please mention to us that it is 18+ content and we’ll find a different way to help.

18+ content is acceptable on Netlify, but because this forum needs to be kept suitable and welcoming for anyone 13-18, we do ask that people keep their posts here in line with that mandate.

3 Likes

Hey Perry,

I really appreciate the concern! This is actually part of an art project, and has no adult content. I’ll be deleting this thread once this is resolved though.

Thanks,
Tom

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know, @BKComputing!

What happens when you try to follow the verify domain ownership steps? Once you complete those verification steps and share the record with us, we can transfer the domain to you and the message should no longer appear.

1 Like

Hillary - the DNS record is in place now. Let me know if there’s anything else I need to do on my end.

Hi there, @BKComputing :wave:

I just checked and I am not seeing the appropriate TXT record. Can you walk through the steps one more time to confirm it is in place? After you do that, if it still isn’t working I will loop in a member of my team. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Hi there, @Tee1 :wave:

I see you have posted in five threads about the same topic. Please refrain from opening multiple threads with the same question. This is not related to the topic being discussed on this thread. If you have further questions, you can follow up on this thread.

1 Like

Hillary,

It looks like it’s working on my end:

[screenshot removed by moderator due to name not being suitable for youth].

Let me know if there’s anything else I can do.

Thanks so much, I just went ahead and verified it as well on our end! One of our support engineers has removed this domain from the other account, and you should now be all set to use it!

I am going to edit you last post to remove the screenshot, as it contains the domain name. Let us know if you have any further questions!

1 Like