Home
Support Forums

Could we please test changing the build runtime?

Support,

After pushing a larger number of changes, my build failed with “Build exceeded maximum allowed runtime”

• Site: https://priceless-dubinsky-57bc51.netlify.app/
  • Deploy: Netlify App
  • I noticed in other support posts, users experiencing the same problem, had the build time extended to see if the build would go through
  • I looked at the Pricing page to see if the build runtime feature to upgrade my account but did not find mention of it

Could Support please increase my build runtime to see if that’s the root cause?

Regards,
Steven

Hi @stevenmilstein,

We do upgrade the build time limits, but we need you to at least have a card on file. This is because, with the upgraded time limits, you’re more likely to finish off your build minutes.

Hi @hrishikesh, thanks for the timely reply.

I added the card details to my account.

Hi @stevenmilstein,

The time limit has been bumped to 1 hour.

Hi @hrishikesh.

That’s wonderful.

Do you know if setting environment variable:

NODE_OPTIONS = --max_old_space_size=6000

is affected by the account level?

Hi @stevenmilstein,

I’m note sure what you mean. You can set that variable for a starter team too. Is that what you’re asking?

@hrishikesh, I set the variable already but I’m wondering if memory heap is a feature related to account subscription levels. Like buildruntime is limited to 30 mins for Start and 60 minutes for Pro.

Hi @stevenmilstein,

Build time is limited to 15 mins by default for all accounts. Once a payment method is added or if a user upgrades to a higher plan, they’re eligible to higher timeouts.

However, the build environment is same for starter, pro and even business plan. At any time, you can get 3GB RAM assured, however you might get more resources if the systems are not under heavy load. So, I’m not sure if that setting will make a huge difference in your case.

If it’s not working, I’d advise you to build locally and deploy via CLI.

Hi @hrishikesh. Thanks for the insight.

If I understand correctly, the default is 512MB, so I’ll set it to 3GB and try again.

Thanks for all your timely help.

Hi @hrishikesh,

It looks like that helped my debugging process. The build
Netlify App failed after 44 minutes, within the 60- minute limit.

But now I’m at a loss of how to proceed.

Do you have any suggestions for this?

12:11:14 PM: Creating deploy upload records
12:11:14 PM: Failing build: Failed to build site
12:11:14 PM: Failed during stage ‘building site’: Build script returned non-zero exit code: 2
12:11:14 PM: Finished processing build request in 44m24.414031029s

After searching for similar issues, I tried adding Deploy environment:
CI = true

but still received:
1:21:57 PM: Failing build: Failed to build site
1:21:57 PM: Failed during stage ‘building site’: Build script returned non-zero exit code: 2
1:21:57 PM: Finished processing build request in 41m42.61093872s

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you

Hi @hrishikesh,

After a lot of Googling, I’m starting to suspect the root cause is in my code - perhaps an infinite loop I’m missing.

I’ll dig deeper & get back to you.

Thanks for your patience!

Hi @Michael654,

If you can explain your problem, we could be of further assistance.

@hrishikesh, despite taking over an hour, the build completes normally on my Mac with 16GB and environment variable NODE_OPTIONS = --max_old_space_size=6000.

My project uses NetlifyCMS & it’s a problem if the build cannot be run on Netlify. I don’t think using Netlify CLI is an option.

What is the maximum memory size available?

Thanks for your help

This post might answer your question:

@hrishikesh, thank you for the informative link.

Are you aware of a preferred workflow or, tool stack when 1 CPU & 3GB is not sufficient?

Well, we do have High Performance builds Netlify Enterprise: High-Performance Edge & Build - Enhanced Security & Support, but that would be an enterprise agreement.

If that’s not possible, you still have 2 options:

1. Build locally and deploy using Netlify CLI
  2. Use GitHub Actions or similar to build and deploy to Netlify.

@hrishikesh Thanks for the advice!