Contact form drops fields (form works well with request bin)

On this page
https://frosty-newton-f64910.netlify.app/contact/

with requestbin reporting this

(full fieldset)

Netlify forms reports this

Note that the two fields missing – phone and interest – have only been recently added to the field. However, this is a freshly built deploy so unless build queues look cross deploys this can not have been stuck in the queue

Hi, @skl. Have you read this support guide?

It might help to find the root cause. For example, I’m not finding the pure HTML version of that form at the URL above.

That is a requirement for the Forms feature at Netlify to work. If your HTML form is elsewhere, would you please send us a link to that location (or tell us the path if your have blocked direct access using redirects)?

hi – thanks a lot for your reply.

yeah, read this page. by the way I did not think it was great in terms of content; for example how to redirect to a ThankYou page (by changing the action parameter) is missing – it is a nice trick (if it works; it seems to be hit and miss as well, but maybe this issue is related)

Anyway – I am not sure what you mean with “pure html” and there is no mention of such concept on the documentation you sent. The code on this page is all there is to define the form. Afaik there is not much javascript magic going on under the hood other than validation and page formatting (I am using a template, so I am not aware of all the details).

So it would be great if you could explain a bit more about what “pure html” is meant to be?

just uploading this as it was blocked originally

by the way – I just upgraded the plan to a paid one; can we move this discussion over there and/or can you let me know how to contact you for email support?

Hey there, @skl :wave: Thanks for letting us know! I have moved this conversation over to the Helpdesk for you. You will receive a response from a Support Engineer in your email, so be on the lookout.

I will leave this thread open in the meantime incase any fellow Forums members have ideas or next steps.

This is a direct quote from that support guide below:

• You still need to include an HTML form that meets the criteria above, including all the inputs with the same names as the javascript form. This is required because we parse HTML to find forms during your deploy - but we don’t try to parse javascript files. This means if you are using React, Vue, etc. which create HTML elements using Javascript during the render, you’ll still need to include an actual HTML file that includes all of the form details in it, including all possible inputs that you want to use. For a working example using React that you can generalize to other frameworks from, check out this blog post .

Also, at the end of that support guide, we specifically ask for a link to the HTML only form, again, quoting:

Still having trouble? Please start a new topic tagged netlify-forms :
https://answers.netlify.com/tag/netlify-forms

In that topic, Please:

• Write a fantastic title that summarizes your issue and is helpful for other users

and provide:

1. The URL for your live form as you want visitors to use it
  2. The URL of your deployed html form. In case you have a javascript form, we need to literally be linked to the html version you’ve deployed, as mentioned above (look for “ pure javascript form ”)
  3. The form name that you’ve set and that shows in our UI
  4. Any errors or logs from the Netlify build logs, dashboard or browser developer console
  5. Description of anything you have tried that did or didn’t help or make things better/worse

The issue with your form is that there is no HTML-only version of the form. We do cover that in the support guide and we asked you to provide a link to it when contacting us about forms questions.

Did you follow those instructions? If so, what is the URL for the pure HTML form?

Have you even looked at the website? I honestly do not know what you are asking for – I am not using a javascript form, never have. I am using a form that is html, and that has some javascript validation code so I have no idea how your comments apply to this site.

Also my guess is that *if the issue was that you do not find the html form then there would simply be no submission data. Instead all but two fields are submitted correctly so you are definitely able to parse the form, you are just not able to parse it correctly.*

Cheers

Stefan

Hey there,

The area of interest is missing the name attribute AFAICT, and phone has a random string zgotmplz within its HTML. That’s what I’d be checking out!

for anyone interested – apparently the Netlify forms system is broken.

What solved it eventually was simply renaming the form (note that there was not conflict with form names on the site – Netlify simply did not pick up that the form had changed across builds and was using a previous version of the form)

Hey! Not broken, just some caveats :slight_smile:

Typically, we only observe that trend if the form is Javascript-backed and, as you’ve seen, a name change will sort that out. It’s always a good rule of thumb – and old forms can be deleted via the API now too!

except that (a) the form is not Javascript backed, and (b) this maybe should have pointed out in the first reply and in the trouble shooting docs?

And caveats is broken for a production system.

Point taken, I’ll be sure to suggest a rename as a good means of remediation much sooner in dialogue :slight_smile:

1 Like