Confused by netlify-cli version

I’ve updated netlify-cli but the version appears to be wrong and it’s VERY slow to respond.

I’m on Ubuntu WSL on Windows

netlify-cli - npm say 3.50 is latest and I npm install netlify-cli -g

wsl@OD-X1-CARBON:~/wai/wai-arrm$ node -v; npm -v; which netlify; netlify -v
v14.15.4
/home/wsl/.nvm/versions/node/v14.15.4/bin/netlify
netlify-cli/2.68.7 wsl-x64 node-v14.15.4

I also tried uninstalling node,npm and re installing.

hi there, would you mind looking through the issues here and filing a new one if there isn’t something pre-existing? that is the best way to let the CLI team know.

1 Like

Done - Update appears to not work on WSL · Issue #1847 · netlify/cli · GitHub

It appears this was the root cause:

If there are other questions or comments, @slim, please feel free to follow-up here again anytime.

1 Like

In my case it looks like npm detects the windows path for global modules on the WSL path and use that rather than the WSL version.

It seems there is a registry setting to stop windows folders appearing on the WSL path. I might use that an set alias for things like code that I want.

Actually my normal practice is to not install NPM packages globally which is better now npx exists but it is slower than giving ‘./node_modukes/bin’ I made a rash decision to install netlify globally to save a bit of space and as its always the example. That’ll teach me

See this to stop WIndows folders appearing on wsl path - linux - How to remove the Win10's PATH from WSL - Stack Overflow