CNAME record - rbind.io

Hi,

I have hosted my website over netlify for around a year now with two custom domains. Now, I recognized that the website was not working anymore, and I quickly figured out that it is due to this error message: “Log in to the account you have with your DNS provider, and add a CNAME record for -secret- pointing to -secret-.”

Sadly, I don’t have a lot of knowledge about websites, and I also could not understand how the assigned help page is related to my setup. Generally, I built the website with the blogdown library in R with the hugo-academic theme, and I have domains from rbind.io. I guess I am not the only one with this setting (there are many tutorials around this with regards to netlify), and maybe you know what I have to do to get to a running website again. Thank you very much for your help!

Best,
Jonathan

1 Like

@ephorus Welcome to the Netlify community.

You are going to have to share more information with us before we can help you. We’ll need at least your Netlify subdomain and your custom domain name.

In the meantime, maybe this will help.

Hi, @ephorus. You have your custom domain hosted by Cloudflare, not by Netlify. This is the error I see:

The error is happening at Cloudflare, not at Netlify. You will need to contact the support team at Cloudflare to resolve this.

Note, the error message says this:

The SSL certificate presented by the server did not pass validation. This could indicate an expired SSL certificate or a certificate that does not include the requested domain name. Please contact your hosting provider to ensure that an up-to-date and valid SSL certificate issued by a Certificate Authority is configured for this domain name on the origin server. Additional troubleshooting information here.

The reason that SSL isn’t working is because you need to provide your own SSL certificate when proxying to Netlify using Cloudflare (if that is what you are doing). We have a support guide about this here:

If there are other questions, please let us know.

1 Like