Changes coming to Netlify site URLs: .com to .app

I have the same problem. It also is considered spam by Gmail.

Anyone have an update on this?

1 Like

Gmail is also black listing netlify.app.

1 Like

Twitter is throwing warnings up when people click on links to my site. Site went live Saturday long after the .com » .app migration. Are there docs/threads/details on how to resolve this issue?

Do we have some update on this issue. Seem others are also having the same issue.

hi all, I’m sorry to hear about these reports listing us as malicious. Of course we are as concerned about this as you are (if not more) and we are trying to work with the companies in question to fix this situation.

The problem arises because Netlify is, for many people, a free service, and so spammers and people looking to host illegal websites use us. When those sites get flagged as spam, it affects how search engines and large social media sites treat us. It is, ultimately, the fault of malicious people looking to abuse our service which is bad for everyone :face_with_head_bandage:

The solution is for us to keep working with twitter, google, etc but this is a bit of a long winded process, as these are huge sites. nevertheless we are doing everything we can as fast as we can to improve things.

You can help us by using this form for Twitter: Spam

For Linkedin, we think you can use this form: https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/ask/TS-RPS to indicate that the site isn’t spam.

If enough people tell twitter that .app sites aren’t all spam, this will help speed things up.

Thank you for your patience as we keep working on this. If there are any big changes we will post here, but you can also let us know if things improve. :pray:

1 Like

Hi, it appears that any domain with Covid19 in the title is also being flagged. For example, our domain covid19cardiology.com is being blocked in some organizations. Interestingly, the netlify.app subdomain works just fine. Do you have any suggestions with regards to this issue? Thank you!

Hey @singamnv,

Unfortunately, I think we’re a little stuck for options here! You should be able to speak with your domain registrar who may be able to discuss if this is true? Unfortunately, because it’s not something which we’re systematically a part of – we can’t effectively help :slightly_frowning_face:!

3 posts were split to a new topic: Hugo build failed with “error calling Paginate: invoked multiple times with different arguments”

Nice reply…it’s been nice using your product

This thread was a good read. I tried doing some testing with cross-domain cookies (where they share the same apex domain) and ran into an issue where I couldn’t set a cookie with domain=netlify.app from a Netlify site I deployed to netlify.app domain. It worked fine though when I hooked up a custom domain. Now I understand why!

The reason I wanted to do this in the first place was because I like to write automated tests. I figured deploying sites to Netlify during CI, doing assertions using headless Chrome, and then deleting the Netlify sites when finished would be a good way to do it. I see now that I’d have to add more to the automated tests to set the custom domain and set the DNS records. Any advice for doing this without having to set DNS records, or is that the only way to go?

I think if you set the cookie for a specific subdomain that would work. You can use build environment variables:

This was actually cookies set by front end JS for the purpose of anonymously tracking users, not cookies set by the server.

That is expected behaviour as netlify.app is listed in the Public Suffix List. So you can set a cookie for subdomain.netlify.app but not netlify.app.

Yes, I know that now. I was saying that after spending hours troubleshooting why I couldn’t set a cookie for netlify.app so that my two Netlify sites could share it, I came across this thread and learned about the public suffix list:

“Lots of reasons, but a big one among them is that we’d like to leave the public suffix list , which we are on due to hosting millions of customer websites on *.netlify.com along with our own - we can’t currently share things like cookies between our *.netlify.com properties (www, app, community for instance).”

Ah, thanks for that pointer! As an FYI we’ll only be “leaving” the public suffix list on netlify.com domains, not your netlify.app domains, so the restriction will still be in effect for your sites unless you use custom domains.

when can we transform from .com to .app and hoork urls also? cutom domain also supported

hi there, unfortunately i don’t understand the question but i am going to try my best to answer - all sites are now .app sites. and yes, custom domains are supported.

1 Like